Heavier lure/SP combo advice

adamski

Hey Raiders,

Money's starting to come in from the new job and winter is approaching so I'm thinking of up-scaling my current set up so that I can start chucking out bigger lures and plastics in the hope of chasing a land-based kingie or jewie. I'd be looking to spend about $300-$350 on the rod and reel, then extra on good quality heavier braid and fluoro. Can anyone recommend any rods and reels in that sort of price range? I was thinking maybe a Daiwa supacasta from the Gen Black range- I have the Itchy Twitchy and it's worked really well for me, maybe matching it with a bigger Stradic. Other option rodwise was maybe a Shimano T-Curve. I dunno, just window shopping at the mo, but any tips would be welcome.

Cheers,

Adam

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the bump, but just wanted to see again if anyone had any thoughts on this. I've been getting busted off by a few bigger fish recently and I'm eager to give them a wee bit of muscle.

Thanks,

Adam

• 1 month later...

I can recommend the Shimamo T-Curve 200 but may be overkill for your target fish. There are so many good outfits on the market these days. Shop around, but as always, you only get what you pay for. If you invest in good equipment, it will last you for years (with good looking after). Steve