Cliftons - 3/5/15

SgtBundy

Picked the morning window based on the wind forecasts and early high tide. Left at 5am and got to Cliftons just before 6 armed with salted pillies and left over squid from the last trip there.

Water was pretty poor, two weeks ago was clear to the bottom where as today it was hard to see yakkas one foot down.

Set out a squid/pilchard combo under a float and tried for some squid. To my surprise in two casts I had two little 15cm lollipop squids to try live. I set one out ut it didnt last long so I switched them and rigged this one lighter but on a later retrieve it fell off as I cast it back out.

The yakkas were thick but quite small - perfect live bait size around 12cm. I had trouble getting them on a hook but collected a few over a few hours while soaking the rods. The guy next to me got his first king when he pulled a yakka and had a rat come up and take it. I think he got another later in a similar manner. On the main peir there seemed to be the odd trevally, rat king and salmon. No such luck for me.

I tried some whip baits, I tried weighted and unweighted squid strips and the entire session I either had a live or fresh squid, or a live yakka, out under a float. No touches. I settled in to just try collecting more fresh bait for the next session picking up another tiny squid and a few yakkas. All the live bait yakkas that came back tired I killed for fillets next time.

Weather held up good enough for the session so at least there was that. Packed up at midday as I was under orders for the afternoon.

And as usual it was already packed when I got there at 5:50am :)

I am surprised how early people are consistently there.

It where I collect livies and it's not unusual to find people there from 3am

Edited by fragmeister

The end of the wharf is most consistent but its a hassle when alot of people there. At the beginning of the wharf as you walk up on the left hand side there is always massive whiting cruising around, they are easy 45-50cm but verryy picky. On the far right side at the end near the nets there is always leatherjackets and blackfish there. The main section at the front is the best to fish off though if you want something decent

I have only been able to get a spot on the main wharf once when I had a weekday off, even then coming up to evening I got crowded out by people who setup literally 2ft either side of me. I usually hit the end of the back of the netted area and go for squid off the weed beds towards the rocks on the right hand side and fish straight out in front.

Last time I was there I was walking back to the car and off that beach area to the left there were big trevally just cruising around, of course after I had packed everything up.