Australian Salmon

Brendan_G

Not the best eating, if prepped right they can taste ok. You gotta bleed them, put them on ice then skin them, remove bloodlines etc...its a hassle but you can eventually get some good fillets off them.

Cut clean, and bake or BBQ, one of the first fresh fish I ever had and main fish I caught so I liked it, I still haven't tried the "better" fish like kings and dolphin fish ect, but me and my family enjoy it

As mentioned, bleed on capture and straight on the ice. Then fillet and skin and cut of all the red meat. Then cook in beer batter and it is delicious. Anyone that says salmon is not good eating has not eaten it like this on the day of capture, I guarantee I could change the mind of any salmon haters preparing it like this.

On the other hand, leave the red meat on or stick it in the fridge for 3 days and you've prepared yourself some nice burley - not for the table.

Edited by Linc

Not my favourite fish but as mentioned here preparation and freshness is paramount. Get it wrong and they are one of the

Worst eating fish in the sea.

I have cooked them whole in foil with just lemon, pepper and salt within 30 minutes of capture and they were pretty good.

Fish Cakes, they make great fish cakes. Like has been mentioned, bleed 'em and put 'em on ice super quick. Cut that Red Meat out and they aren't all that bad. They go pretty well in a Curry too, you can get some nice solid cubes off a fillet that seems to lend itself well to a mild curry.

I think we get spoiled a bit here in Aus with the amount of quality eating fish.

Cheers

Windy

Just had some that i caught last night...battered and deep fried. Not bad at all! Just make sure you get rid of the red meat. Definitely the best way ive eaten them so far.

Concur - bleed them, remove red meat, batter or crumb the fillets. Family all like it the last few times I have done it which is surprising because they usually are picky.

You get a lot of usable fillets off a big model too

+1 for bleeding straight away, once they have bled out then ice them, the wife steams them with mixed herbs and lemon juice prior to mixing with mashed potato, onion and corriander, then roll into ball crumb and deep fry yum yum.

On a side note it is nearly impossible to keep the kids (and the big kid) away from the steamed fillet while it is cooling.

Cheers

Andy

• 1 year later...

As others have said, its all about what you do with it. Aus Salmon can tend to be a bit dry when cooked so avoid just frying them in a pan. Most people who don't like eating them do this and then declare them as not worth keeping. Lots of ways to use them that avoid this problem as people have said like curries, fish cakes, etc.I usually do it as ceviche with mint, coriander, lime juice, fresh chilli and cubes of avo. Last trip I did this along with Thai style fish cakes using tailor, both fish a lot of people turn their noses up at. Suffice to say I'd have missed out on a bloody awesome meal if i'd thrown these all back.

20170218_173725.jpg

my favourite fish to cook !! :) Kill them fast and kind, bleed and ice them ASAP. They're definitely best done either end of the cooked spectrum - rawish or very cooked. Good sashimied, great as numus or ceviche, and awesome in strong curries because the flesh holds together well and they have enough flavour to show through.

Edited by HenryR