Wanda 05/05

damos

Hit Wanda last night for an hour before and after high tide. I had some pillies and recently caught squid for bait. Set up 2 rods and whilst re-baiting my light rod noticed that the bigger rod had come out of the holder and was making its way into the water. Quickly ran over and after a minute or so had a nice fat salmon on the sand probably around the 50cm mark. Got the hooks out and back in he went. Set the rod holder in much deeper this time :D.

It was then a little while when suddenly my light rod was fully bent over and the reel was screaming. This rod is a very light rod that I usually use for whiting and only had 10lb braid on. It was a pretty awesome fight that went for a while as I took it easy on the light setup, but eventually I pulled up my first ever gummy. I didn't measure him but I'd estimate around the 80cm mark. Took a few snaps to show to the kids and had to cut the line, couldn't get the hook out. Walked him into the shallows and off he swam. It certainly got the blood pumping.

post-9371-0-95120400-1430870539_thumb.jpg

Caught my first ever banjo after that but that was more like pulling in a big bit of weed. All in all it was a pretty enjoyable few hours.

Edited by damos

It seems you had a fun-filled session. I went the day before, had no bite for the two hours I was there. I also went on Monday, only hooked up a shovel nose. Yesterday I changed to another beach, took home a 50 cm tailor, released 3 fat Sammons ranging from 50 to 65 cm.I have to say the water at Wanda looked very fishy, might go back there again this Friday