Botany Bay Flatty and Soapies

vo2c88

Its been a while since I've hit the bay and with the recent rain and unfavourable conditions I was itching to get a line wet however there was a slight issue and that was the timing. To put you in the picture we had to head up to Forster in the morning pick up my mates new Cruise Craft 595 and get it back to Sydney. With 8 hours of driving ahead of us the call was made to try for some jewies when we got back. We were back in sydney at 4pm to have a car beside us call out that one of the trailer tyres had gone flat, quick fix and we got her home.

We got all our gear together and jumped in my boat and were met at kyeemah ramp by a mate in his 410 challenger polycraft. The wind was up and I was rather skeptical to fish the runways. We tried our luck and drifted towra point for a small flatty, then a mate hooked what he thought was the bottom to then realise it was another line. This had some weight to it so I kept retreiving it to end up with over 200m of mono line and a redhead lure with a hooked 35cm tailor which was prime bait. It was lumpy so we made the call to hit Captain Cooks were the chopper tailor were alive with the predators not far behind and the 15 boats hanging around the bridge. Tally for the night a monster flatty at 85cm and 2 soapies. Ive caught an 85cm before but this was double the width. All caught on tailor fillets and let to live another day.

A massive day but rewarding at the same time. Still in search of that +1m jewy and flatty.

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Vo2c88post-16473-0-46690900-1431245746_thumb.jpgpost-16473-0-17121300-1431245782_thumb.jpgpost-16473-0-25164200-1431245810_thumb.jpgpost-16473-0-25312200-1431245836_thumb.jpg

Edited by vo2c88

Wouldn't have a clue how that much line could be out there. It took me approx 10 mins to bring in by hand.The only thing I could think of is the fish going into the kelp and busting the line off.

Scratchie our plan was to spend a couple of days at port on the way back but the expected swell at 2m deterred us :-) our hopes were to land a late beakie on its first outing. You always got to have a Plan B. Here she is :-)

post-16473-0-91087700-1431324045.jpg