Newbie Chasing Flatties, Advice Appreciated

thomasywy

Hi Anglers!

I have been trying to chase flathead for the past few weeks after recently relocating to Sydney. Been told at the tackle shop to try the Narrabeen lakes and so far have tried the bridge behind woolies, the lake's entrance and deep creek with little luck. Mostly I feel there are only small fish around, and I keep getting my soft plastics tail getting bit off at the lakes entrance! grrr! went though a couple packs in a 4 hour session :mad3:

Was wondering if I am doing anything wrong since after reading many posts and buying some guide books suggested there are decent flatties around Narrabeen and that I should not be seeing so little action after many sessions.

Is it just not the right time of the year?

Any advice appreciated,

Thomas

I don't really know Narrabeen, but to stop the tail getting bitten off by tailor, I'd try using Zmanz- they tend to outlast other SPs, both flathead and bream go daft for the Grubz. You could also invest in some diving hardbodies- I had the same issue in the Parra and around the eastern bays and switched to the Berkley Dog series with some success on the flatties and bream.

Good luck!

I don't really know Narrabeen, but to stop the tail getting bitten off by tailor, I'd try using Zmanz- they tend to outlast other SPs, both flathead and bream go daft for the Grubz. You could also invest in some diving hardbodies- I had the same issue in the Parra and around the eastern bays and switched to the Berkley Dog series with some success on the flatties and bream.

Good luck!

Thanks Adam, I was exactly thinking hard bodies...but those snags will be expensive!!! guess gota watch where you throw it :mfr_lol:

This time of year I find the lakes fish really well for the bigger girls, don't be afraid to throw a bigger plastic around. The little fish will still go for these lures, your natural mullet colours work best. In dirty water I like to fish dark coloured lures