Live yakkas

Camo1808

Hey folks.

Advice needed on catching live bait. I am very new to catchint live bait....correction. never done it before. My mate and i are amping up our game and looking at taking our kayaks offshore at terrigal launching from the haven. We will be looking at catching live bait to hopefully make it all worth it. Can anyone telling me what to use and how to use it for catching live bait. I think i have heard of a spot near terrigal to try but anyone is willing to share more spots that would be willingly accepted haha.

Do you use those bait rigs with the 5little dropper hooks off them if so whag bait do you put on there.

If not what rigs do i use.

Thanks guys

Berley with bread mate, or anything really........use a size 10 or smaller hook, a tiny bit of bait - i use prawns usually, but bread, prawn, squid, pilly all work, even mince meat works great. I use just a single size 12 hook with no wieght when im at a wharf bait gathering, just float it down with the burley.

Good luck man, they are pretty easy to catch.

Berley up the water around you, use a size 6 Sabiki rig, you can get them from most Kmarts for $2.50 each,

if you like you can chop up a pillie into small cubes to improve your catch rate, easy as thatCamo,

let us know how you and your mate go buddy.

regards Dan

Edited by Old Salty

Lots and lots of previous threads on this. Do a search and shortcut all the answers.

Single new / sharp 10 snek hook. Smallest split shot possible. Cast out let fall through water. With just light pressure on the line. Very slow retrieve.

I find if you give them slack they spit the hook.

Keep the berley going.

Thanks fellas. now this may sound lame but due to my inexperience of off shore fishing what can i expect to catch from the kayak using livies for bait around 1km from shore off terrigal cheers

You will get plenty of yakka around the red buoy just out from the haven. I prefer the sabiki bait rigs, add a small bait to each hook to increase catch rate, berley with bread and youl be right.

One of the best berleys for Yakkas I find is grated potatoe oddly enough. Mix in some oily fish flesh pieces like Pilchards and you can up your chances of getting some Slimy Mackerel mixed in too.

I use a single small size 10-12 hook and a piece of squid for bait. The squid stays on for ages which is a bonus. The Sabiki bait jigs work well too, I just don't use them that much.

Any structure will hold Yakkas, I perfer wharves in clearer water though with some nice reef, rubble or kelp around.

Cheers

Windy

Awesome thats great advice. I will try a few different suggested methods of burley and bait. I think best way to go is use a single hook and not the bair rigs. Thanks everyone for their advice.

In saying this being on the kayak i will not have a live bait tank. Will they still be any good as dead fresh bait or is there someway or project i coulr do to keep them alive?

Grated potato is the way to go and just a hand line with a small strip of squid, light weighed. You will do better if you can keep them alive so perhaps a foldable metal live bait cage that you can tow behind your kayak? The Terrigal Haven is full of yakkas, if you find a vacant mooring, tie up there and burley - you wont be there long!

Ok i have one of those box type poddy mullet traps. Maybe i could keep in that which is actually a fantstic idea!!!! Spot on the money there thanks heaps!!! Yeah i heard terrigal haven around all the moorings and also out near the yellow boy.