Advice for Cairns Trip?

Mr Squidy

Hi Raiders,

Heading up to Cairns in a few weeks with the Girlfriend who has a work conference on the days of the 29th - 31st of May. Planning to make the most of the opportunity to get out for a fish or two up there and wondering if any raiders with some knowledge of the area would have any recommendations as to best target species for that time of year, advice on any good land based locations and advice on any good charter operators (PM only on that one obviously)?

Currently from my research i'm considering splashing out for at least one of the days and doing one of the following:

1. Hiring a boat for the day and trying my luck on the Trinity Inlet, or

2. Getting a private charter to chase pelagic's or GT's off the inner reefs, or

3. Booking a day charter trip out to Lake Tinaroo to try my luck at a big barra.

Thoughts?

Lastly, a long shot but if any raiders will be up that way and would have an interest to split a charter or boat hire on one of those dates then let me know!!

Cheers guys,

Rich

Hello Rich, Years ago i went up the Cairns for diving Osprey Reef , But me and a mate went fishing with a local tour guide , Can not remember who he was, But went fishing in Trinity Inlet and got a Barra on live bait and it was so close to the ocean my guide even peaked out , Off memorie it was about 67cm. Look in my opinion its better to go with a local guide, If was to go again i would do the same, I love it up there.

Hello Rich, Years ago i went up the Cairns for diving Osprey Reef , But me and a mate went fishing with a local tour guide , Can not remember who he was, But went fishing in Trinity Inlet and got a Barra on live bait and it was so close to the ocean my guide even peaked out , Off memorie it was about 67cm. Look in my opinion its better to go with a local guide, If was to go again i would do the same, I love it up there.

Thanks Mate,

Yeah, will definitely do one day with a guide i think, still tossing up one day with a hire boat also though. Different sort of challenge exploring a new system on you own, certainly makes any capture a lot sweeter when its your own skills that get you the fish.

Cheers

R

It's also very seasonal so even the weather of late can switch them on or off. A guide will save you wasting time. Are you on Facebook? I can give you a couple of people to talk to if you like just send me a PM.

Rich,

I am up in Port Douglas that week with my family but staying in Cairns 29th-31st. I know there are better things to catch up there but shore based fishing is challenging, I'm thinking about heading to a nearby stream for jungle perch early on the morning of the 30th, if I go you'd be free to tag along, it would be Boulder hopping and casting small poppers like for bass. The charter / boat hire option probably interests me due to time and $ constraints. Feel free to keep in touch on your fishing plans though.

Cheers,

Gus

Rich,

I am up in Port Douglas that week with my family but staying in Cairns 29th-31st. I know there are better things to catch up there but shore based fishing is challenging, I'm thinking about heading to a nearby stream for jungle perch early on the morning of the 30th, if I go you'd be free to tag along, it would be Boulder hopping and casting small poppers like for bass. The charter / boat hire option probably interests me due to time and $ constraints. Feel free to keep in touch on your fishing plans though.

Cheers,

Gus

Hi Gus,

That sounds awesome mate, as long as we are up above Croc territory i'd love to join in chasing some jungle perch (Crocs scare the bajeezus out me).

At work now but i'll shoot you a PM this arvo.

Cheers,

Rich