Port Kembla trip

krause

I didn't now whether to make this a report or chat. It's more of a rant-report-chat hybrid than anything. Ive been getting into livebaiting the last few weeks and have had some solid success. Even got my first King in years! As well as some good salmon and tailor. I just need to become more effective at catching the bait. I also tried rigging a live salmon that just swam around for a few hours

So, first of all any ideas on where to gather livies in the illawarra. I hit up the wollongong harbor, but it's impossible get a good bag in the dark. Id love to hear from any kind locals with their thoughts?

Secondly im using j hooks as per suggestion from fellow Raiders, after i reported my circle hooks were foul hooking the livie and hence not working. But the j's are killing the buggers which means no catch and release and no using any catches as big livies. So I'm going to try cirles again but keep to the rig in using (I've gone very simple with my rig and is working sooo much better, I'm finally catching on livies) any pointers on hooking livies so the resulting catch can be released?

The last part is my rant, and is about how f#@%ing disgraceful the people who use that break wall are. I was there on saturday and filed my 20L bucket to the brim with plastic bags, loose line and bottles (all the stuff that will cause the most harm if it gets in the water). I got there on Monday and it was even worse. There is no responsibility in some people. Filled the bucket again, only made 200m of the kilometer before i was stomping the rubbish into the bucket to fit more. Very sad

Cheers guys. Ps sorry I missed the social, but the king fish called!!!

Edited by krause

Hey Krause, I live just a block away from the harbour and fish there often when I have time so I think I might be able to answer some of those question.

Wollongong harbour is not really a great spot, but it does produce yakkas consistently for those who persist... During the day, your best bet is inside the harbour, theres usually plenty of small yakkas there, however they tend to go off the bite after dark. Berely lightly with bread only if necessary and use an unweighted or small float rig. During dusk, and into the night, the breakwall is better, and you usually get monsters in winter (but not as many). Paternoster with suitable hook works here. Recently though, there hasnt been any yakkas being caught off the breakwall (2 months now), so its best to get them in the afternoon in the harbour.

For hooks I tend to use small suicides and I find they work quite well, but they are very hard to find in the sizes you want for yakkas. Otherwise plenty of guys use long shanks, and swear by them, so I think it comes down to personal choice. Practice your strike with your preferred hook to make sure you hook them lightly, that way you wont kill them as fast.

Lastly, yes it is a dirty place, especially after the weekend warriors have been. Its like this at most popular spots near populated places.

If you're still having trouble with livies , then I suggest you sp; in up a couple

Sorry I just wanted to clarify that the cirlce vs j hook question was related to using the livies, not catching them.

But thanks for the info. I know that the yakkas off the wall are thin at the moment, hence I have been fishing by the trawlers.

And though id spin for live salmon baits, but I'd still like not too kill as many with the j hooks and let a few go