Looking for snapper grounds

mike2153

Hey guys,

So with winter coming in looking to try a bit of bottom bashing and fishing for snapper on slow pitch jigs and bait.

But I really have no idea on where to find the snapper off sydney.

I was thinking dee why wide would be a good place to start but then again that's a massive reef and wouldn't know where to start there either haha.

Was wondering if anyone would care to share some info on snapper fishig with me in turn for some info on kings?

Even better if one of the gun snapper fishermen on here would like a deckie for the day and we could smash the snapper and kings for a day?

Guest no one

The issue is once you get off Sydney there's miles and miles of flat sandy bottoms, very few reefs which means very few snapper.

Hope you find them! Hope someone shares where they are!

Hey mate, your better off going down south, head north from bellambi ramp. Some monster reds been caught. Havent been out myself. But wanting to explore the area with someone with abit of knowledge of the area. I've got a 5.2 centre console with a 50 banga. I'm sure its capable but no knowledge of the area/ what are safe conditions etc.

I'm just an amateur I was using a 2 hook paternoster. ( as we're all others on the boat) Squid was working well on the day.

Killer was fresh sgt Baker wings!!!

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Hey Mate

You don't have to go wide in winter to get big snapper. The majority of 5+ kg fish I pin would be in would be in under 15m of water on a high tide over reefy ground.

Try the area know as foul ground out the front of manly/curl curl & up to long reef beach. If the wind buggers off on Sunday head out then they will be frothing after the big south blow !

Soft plastics are my weapon of choice but unweighted or lightly weighted baits work well to.

Good luck

Hey Mate

You don't have to go wide in winter to get big snapper. The majority of 5+ kg fish I pin would be in would be in under 15m of water on a high tide over reefy ground.

Try the area know as foul ground out the front of manly/curl curl & up to long reef beach. If the wind buggers off on Sunday head out then they will be frothing after the big south blow !

Soft plastics are my weapon of choice but unweighted or lightly weighted baits work well to.

Good luck

That's great advice. In winter up here, most of the good fish come from the close in reefs between 5-15m. After a good swell is the best time to target them. Especially if it's a big rise and fall.

Rigs- paternoster with squid or pilly

Sp's. Jerk shads, whip baits or nemisis 6in

Or my favourite is a peeled large banana prawn on a jig head.

With sp's try go as light as the current will allow. The beauty of fishing 5-15/20m of water is you can use a relatively light jig 1/4-3/8.

Don't be afraid to anchor up and burley either. Best times to target them are just before/after low light periods.

Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey guys thanks for that.

Mate What is the foul ground at manly/curl curl I didn't know there was foul ground there?

Hey Mate

Sorry for late reply mainly check Fishraider when at work. Haha. Foul ground is more just a nautical name used on maps etc.I was out there yesterday for an arvo/dusk session, managed a few legal one but no monsters. Water was still 22 in places so the kings were hitting the plastics before the snapper.

If you have a GPS try South 33 45.353 East 151 19.376 its some gravel ground between a bommie and a drop off in bout 15m. Anywhere west or south west of that is good to but it gets shallow so watch swell. Just sound around and look for bait turn ya engine off and drift and cast. You can also try the 30M line off long reef. I very rarely see any fish on the sounder but manage to get some big units in a few gravel patches there.

Hope this helps.

Years ago i was regularly fishing off Coal Cliff and Stanwell park lunching from Bellambi

I can vouch that the grounds off there are some of the best close to Sydney for a days fishing.

By the way anyone want make a claim the secret snapper and Jewish fish spot just nth of the ramp called by the locals, Grey street reef? It should be firing this time of year at night.

dogbox

Guest no one

Considering launching from bellambi next weekend on route to the humps, heard lots of spots go well down that way