Thommos 26th may

J0nn0

Hi guys

First ever report, so bare with me.

Woke up just before 4am this morning as planned, but a killer headache soon had me slinking back into the warmth of my bed, spewing that my plans of hitting up thommos was gone.

Woke again just before 7am, better, but still with a bit of a headache, so went straight down the shops to grab some nurofen, and back home to have a hot shower.

Still annoyed that my plans were shot, I thought bugger it, I'm going anyway, so after quickly getting ready, and packing the car, off I went on the long journey up to thommos.

Arrived at the gate just on 10:30am, with a bit of chill in the air, but an otherwise beautiful day, not a breath of wind, and the sun peaking through some cloud.

After setting up the rod, and renewing my fishing license, seemed to have expired a couple weeks ago, off I set on the walk up to the dam.

I had o my been walking a few minutes when an energy australia car drove up beside me and asked if I wanted a lift, seems the day was looking up,

Headed straight up the eastern side, up towards the back, where I started spinning around some tassie Devils, but didn't have any luck, not even a follow.

Pretty soon I was starting to wonder if today was going to be one of those tough days at thommos, not even seeing a fish, let alone catching one.

Pretty soon it was time to put on my go to lure, the sebile onduspoon in rainbow trout.

After a couple of casts, my first follow, and a few more later another follow.

Kept spinning and walking and soon made my way towards the back of the eastern side when it happened, I casted, I waited for the lure to sink, started to wind, and bang, I'm snagged, or so I thought, the snag started to run!

After a quick tussle, up came this beauty, I fat rainbow, later measured at 50cm, and heavy!

Ended up the only fish of the day, and after a couple more follows, it was time to head home, happy that I had cracked a new PB.

My bad for the long post.

Weapon of choice was a pflueger Trion 2-4kg, with a shimano Stradic fj 2500.

As stated earlier, sebile onduspoon rainbow trout was the lure of choice.

I'll post a pic once I work out how to post it.

post-15335-0-54204600-1432634598_thumb.jpg

Edited by J0nn0

Glad you popped this report up, I was considering a trip up to TCD on Sunday (if anyone else is keen, happy to meet up).

Great looking Rainbow too, never used a Sebile Onduspoon, what are they like?

Cheers

Windy

Hey matt, good luck heading up, looks like the wind will have dropped, or close to it by Sunday.

Mate the onduspoon is my go to, brilliant lure!

I have found that a slow to medium roll gets the best results, tried the usual twitch twitch method, and managed follows, but never got the take, but once I started the slow/medium roll, they were all over it.

Thanks J0nn0, never seen them before. Always on the look-out for new Trout lures, I took a quick look at them online and they look good. Do they have a rattle in them? One of the photos I saw seemed to be a clear body with ball bearings in it.

Oddly enough, I always think that TCS fishes better when the wind is up. Some of the best sessions I have had is when the wind is quite strong and blowing hard up against one of the shores. Makes the fly rod a bit of a pain but spinning can be very effective when its like this. Tossing up a few options though. Hit TCD or tow the boat to Lyell and see how its fishing there.

Cheers

Windy

Went well I should be 100% soon as I had two cataracts both done now

Had the same op done 6 months ago, fabulous result, I can drive in the rain at night now and don't need glasses for normal sight.

Modern medicine is magic. And think of the people that Fred Hollows helped with the same op. Now there is a man who deserved a knighthood.

Cheers Stewie.

Paikea

Thanks J0nn0, never seen them before. Always on the look-out for new Trout lures, I took a quick look at them online and they look good. Do they have a rattle in them? One of the photos I saw seemed to be a clear body with ball bearings in it.

Oddly enough, I always think that TCS fishes better when the wind is up. Some of the best sessions I have had is when the wind is quite strong and blowing hard up against one of the shores. Makes the fly rod a bit of a pain but spinning can be very effective when its like this. Tossing up a few options though. Hit TCD or tow the boat to Lyell and see how its fishing there.

Cheers

Windy

Yah they do have a few bearings in them for noise, but even better they help casting distance as well as they move forward on the lure during the cast.

I'm now looking for some kind of attractant for them, they get a lot of attention from trout, and very close to hook ups, but think they might need a little scent to get the final bite sometimes????

I'm now looking for some kind of attractant for them, they get a lot of attention from trout, and very close to hook ups, but think they might need a little scent to get the final bite sometimes????

Never really used scents on Trout apart from the old school Halco Freshwater scent years back. Trout get into that following mood fairly often, especially at TCD where I seem to get more follows than other lakes and rivers. What I tend to do is change the lure, that Trout will still be hunting the same beat (unless you spooked it) and running a different lure past its nose seems to work. Quite recently at Jindabyne I had the same Rainbow follow a minnow (Jackson Komachi) yo my feet twice, I took the time to change lures to a Vibrax and that Rainbow hammered it first cast.

Another tactic that sometimes works is to get your hands on some small celta style blades that you can thread in front of the lure (you can find them around). Trout love flashy spinning blades (hence the success when trolling with cow bells) and that can sometimes turn a follow into a hit.

I didn't end up heading up to TCD on Sunday, too much beer Sat night put paid to that idea!

Cheers

Windy