Gunnamatta - 31/5/15

SgtBundy

Had no plans other than to have a crack somewhere today, and decided to try somewhere new. I wanted to give the point past Gunnamatta bay a go but when I got there I realised it wasnt as accessible as it appeared off google. I looked around a place called Salmon haul but the gear I brought was too light to reach out where I thought the fish might be. I retreated to the baths at Gunnamatta instead and fished there.

Burleyed up and set out a light rig with prawn. Setup a plastic and no sooner had I cast that out and my bait rod got a nibble and then doubled over. A quick scrap later I had a decent trevally up and when it settled down I took a gamble on lifting it and had him. 34cm and fairly solid as well - kept that for home.

There were a few people out but they didnt seem to be getting much. One guy on the end of the peir took notice of my catch and started moving up closer to my burley. Nice guy and we had the odd chat.

The afternoon stayed pretty quiet. My plastic got a hit while sitting idle, but otherwise the only thing it caught was a yacht that drove over my line when he took a weird line trying to find his tie up. Took a bit of line but managed to break it off. The yachstman apologised but I should have brought it in earlier but I thought it had sunk lower.

Got a couple of smaller trevally though the arvo that went back. Plenty of small nibbles through the session and a few missed bites but overall quiet.

Packed up around 4pm as the cloud cover made it seemed later. Had the trevally for sashimi which was nice enough although the wife and kids were not fans.

Hi. Yea you need to hit the bay at lower tides to hit the flats. Wish I knew you were around as I'd have come say hello. If you were on high tide with v light tackle perhaps just plastics or lures around the carpark area.

From salmon haul. Down on the beach area you should have walked right and over the rocks to almost as far as you can go. You get into clear patchy ground in slightly deeper water.

The point to the right of salmon haul was occupied but it looked the spot to be. The terrain looked like it was good for trying for squid over the weedbeds but I wasnt going to be able to cast out deep enough to target anything else.

I have worked the sand flats in the past but was not keen to go wading today.

The point to the right of salmon haul was occupied but it looked the spot to be. The terrain looked like it was good for trying for squid over the weedbeds but I wasnt going to be able to cast out deep enough to target anything else.

I have worked the sand flats in the past but was not keen to go wading today.

yeah wading in this cold isnt too friendly on the jewels

The point to the right of salmon haul was occupied but it looked the spot to be.

That is a popular spot to fish for Blackfish. If you walk along the path above the little beach you will see the Blackfish swimming up and down (if they are there) There is a path (of sorts) right at the end of the path that will get you down to the point.

Cheers

Paikea

]