Spyderco Salt 1 knife - my new fishing belt carry

slinkymalinky

Just wanted to share my new 'fishing & boating knife'. A Spyderco Salt 1. In a word, awesome.

Surely I'm not the only Fishraider who appreciates quality knives as well as good quality rods and reels. I've got the usual collection of filleting and bait knives but I always seem to end up fumbling around for a knife for all those little fishing and boating tasks... cutting off rigs, trimming ends, halving pillies, even cutting anchor ropes.

The Spyderco Salt 1 is made from premium H1 steel... pretty much the last word in corrosion-resistant steel; takes an awesome edge although not as durable as equivalent quality higher carbon steels (the price to pay for that corrosion resistance... this knife essentially WON'T rust)

post-6175-0-90305200-1433397681_thumb.jpg

The scales are grippy and in the yellow (also could have got black), it should be easier to find in the dark insides of a tackle box. The belt clip isn't just for show... it's made from titanium and solidly built and should keep the knife securely where it's meant to be. The deployment hole seems a bit bigger than on other Spyderco knifes which should be good when I'm wearing gloves or have wet, cold, fumbling fingers on my Kayak. I tied a short lanyard/toggle from paracord for the same reason.

Cheers, Slinky

They're a good knife, a fair hit to the hip pocket if you drop it over the side though!

If anyone was after a cheap knife I got a Svord peasant knife for general duties, it needed a bit of work to get the tip the shape I like and a decent edge but for a $30 knife it holds an exceptional edge. Only gripe is its a bit too big to make an ideal pocket knife and it would be inclined to rust though if not cared for...