How close is TOO CLOSE ?

Guest 4myson

It’s like when you go rock fishing and stay a bit back because the waves are a bit big and some guy arrive and settled right in front of you between you and the ledge and start casting without looking and cross your line...

I sometimes want to have an anti-burley to throw in the water and move to another spot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4myson, As both a commercial operator and rec fisho I see it all inside and outside the harbour.

This topic has been up before and has no real answer only helpful hints on what one could do.

Sometimes i think my boat has a magnet on it. I have lost count of the number of times this has happened. So I know the feeling of getting there early, burleying up and all prepared only to have some clown stop within casting distance, make a racket with an anchor and proceed to launch it overboard with a bigger splash than your fat sister jumping in the pool. End result...moving on.

My rule is this and always has been. If I see another boat on my mark I go to another. If I am on a mark and a boat comes too close to my liking, I go to another. It saves the hassles. We all get on the water to enjoy ourselves. We all have sounders... so go find something instead of thinking "oh theres a boat there he must be getting fish.. ill join him."

Offshore can be an absolute nightmare but an absolute pleasure as well if you work together.

Always try and work with boats around you. Use your radio to contact someone or go alongside and talk tactics. Take turns at the fish you will all get served.

Remember when fishing for gemmies etc DONT drop to close to the boat behind you. 400M of someone elses braid aint fun, neither is the loss off the fish and the sting in your wallet because some fool dropped on top of you.

Be patient out there and just piss off to somewhere else on the big blue and use your sounder.

When your fishing at places like the carpark during a good bite you learn to live with fishing close to each other.

Remember nobody owns any particular spot so just share it and be considerate to each other.

It can work in your advantage if you work together.

Hi 4myson, just to clarify, we anchored parallel to the other vessel, not at his stern as assumed that his burley trail was heading away from his stern. So again, were the fish we sounded because of his burley trail or simply at that location anyway? It's getting a bit like "water rage" which is very sad.

Guest Guest123456789

When he asked m

You"am I too close" you should have replied "now that you mention it you are within my casting range, would you mind please moving 20 metres that way?"

Your response probably

A offended him

B caused him to lose face with his passengers.

His response was totally wrong but I reckon a different approach from you could have avoided it. You get more flies with honey than with lemon- cliched but it's true