What size trolling motor...

onearmedfisho

Hi Guys, having not had an electric motor before im stuffed if I can work out if a 55LB will be suitable or should I bite the bullet and run an 80LB?

Im aware the 80LB will be a 24V which means 2 batteries but don't want to go the extra if its not needed!

The boat is a 485 (5.0m) deep V aluminium side console and with the motor, 1 person, batteries and a tank of fuel it will weigh about 850kgs.

It will be mainly used for fishing botany bay and the Georges river. Fishing lures around the bridges etc.

Can somebody who runs an electric give me some feed back on what they are running and on what boat.

Any help will be appreciated...

Cheers

Here's a chart that may help you decide.I've never owned a trolling motor but I'm guessing that the more thrust the more efficient the motor would be.Also I'm guessing wind,current,tide direction/strength would play a vital role on which motor you chose not to mention the amount of coin your willing to spend.post-20199-0-19298900-1433834603_thumb.jpgIf I was in the market I would go the next size up from what's recommended for your boat at a minimum.

Cheers.

If you only ever fished impoundments with no tidal flow and very little wind then I'd say the 55lb would be ok, but anywhere else I'd probably say an 80lb. Apart from the fact I live by the "Buy the best you can to begin with" slogan, I'd also imagine you'll need the 80lb on a 4.8 to counteract any decent tides, as I sometimes need full speed on my 55lb Minn Kota to hold my 4.2m against a 5 knot tide. I was in a chandlery shop up here in Noosa and saw an 80lb Minn Kota for $2399, given the 55lb Terrova is $2090 anyway it makes more sense to go with the bigger one (provided of course you weren't comparing between the Powerdrive and Terrova).

As for iPilot it is a must - not doubt about it. Best thing on my boat.

I run a 55 lb on my 5m Quinnie and find it handles the boat fine. The 80 lb would have more torque of course but as you said you then need an extra battery adding weight, taking up space and money, etc etc. I would personally stick with the 55 lb on a boat your size,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The boat is a 485 (5.0m) deep V aluminium side console and with the motor, 1 person, batteries and a tank of fuel it will weigh about 850kgs.

It will be mainly used for fishing botany bay and the Georges river. Fishing lures around the bridges etc.

My boat is slightly smaller than your set up overall. I'm running a 55lb and it does the job but I wouldn't put it on anything bigger or heavier. I recommend you get the 80lb for your boat.

Go the 80 I pilot. will hold the boat better. Had the 55 in my 450 hornet and now 80 in my 535 barcrusher. The 80 will work with less effort and last longer.

Shop around as there was a speical on the 80 at the same price as the 55 a few months ago. Got mine for $2,399.

JohnN

I am quite happy with the 55 lb on my 5m Quinnie (CoastRunner 470). However I am a recreational fisherman, don't fish comps and generally use it in estaury or bay situations. In Botany Bay as far as I am concerned I will not find conditions it cannot handle easily.

The 80 lb will definitely have more torque and handle strong currents more easily. I assume it has a prop with a larger pitch so may be a little quieter underwater in moderate conditions as well.

You have to balance alongside this however the extra weight of the motor, extra weight of the second battery and then additional TCO (e.g. when the batteries die you need two more, not one).

I am not saying the 55 is better than the 80, just that personally I find the 55 in my situation is big enough. Your boat however, although similar size to mine, with it's deep V hull, may need to 80 to perform as I find mine does.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up with. I also agree with the votes for the iPilot, and I love mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk