North of the Drum - JB

Zacnoel

Hi guys

Went for an arvo session yesterday. We Launched fron Currarong boat ramp and headed for the squid beds inside little beecroft head. Well,squiding ,squiding ,squiding Hmmm no squid. So ok we burleyed up for yakkas or slimmies - Hmm nothing. Back to the squid jigs and finnaly one squid. So with only one live squid and a heap of fresh squid heads we set a course south to the cliffs just north of drum and drumsticks - JB.

On arrival in near perfect seas we put out the live squid on one line and towed a weighted squid head on the other, the sounder was showwing huge schools of kingies patroling the 23 m mark. Both baits were shreded in minutes of hitting the water so out went more squid heads. These were constantly hit by what I can only assume were rat kings

Around this time another boat fishing near by had just dropped a horse and waved us over to fish the school they had marked. As we pulled near we asked how they were going only to be told they had snagged and lost there downrigger weight and had nothing else with them to get their baits into the zone. A smile instantly came to our faces " how many live squid you got" . Within minutes the transfer had taken place , four live squid for a few large snapper leades and we were back in busines.

A quick rerig and the first of the squids were put out. Within minutes my reel started screaming as a large king engulfed the live sqid. I was running a tcurve bluewater 15 kg stick with a shimano biomaster 8000 spolled with 40 lb braid. A fine rig you might say - not. With the drag fully cranked the fish just kept pulling line at will and eventually took me onto the reef, and then that moment of disbelief .

Oh well thats fishing . Before I could rebait, my mates rod buckled over and the reel screamed, this time it was 80 lb braid and a 37 kg stick and it was still an epic fight. Screaming runs and then oh s#%t its gone ,no it hasn't its comming at us and then another screaming run and then " weve got colour" . A clean shot with the gaff and into the boat came a 125 cm kingfish.

We trolled till dark and the headed back to the ramp quietly satisfied

The interesting thing about this trip was that the kings were hitting towed dead squid heads as readily as live squid. A thing to remember next time we run out of or can't catch any live bait.

And youve gotta love the barter system???

Edited by Zacnoel

Sigh, as a regular out there, I really need to improve my king skills, only the very odd rat is all I can muster.

That sir, is a whopping catch.

there out there in numbers right now either along the cliffs and I believe also at the block. - live squid is the trick.

Thanks for the comments guys

Absolute ball buster of a fish mate!

I tell you what , I put some in the pan last night and it was the best king I've ever had , beautiful

They're also great as sashimi as long as its still fresh.
I'm sure you have plenty of meat still to use :D
Bit of soy sauce, chilli seeds, crushed garlic, squeeze of lemon all mixed together with a bit of wasabi on the side is the best in my books.