Rose bay 15/6

nickb111

Got out to rose bay this morning in the hope of bonito, salmon, kings etc, but not expecting too much considering its already winter. Arrived for sunrise which coincided with first light, and set up gear while I waited for the tide to get moving. I fish near the sea plane base, in surprisingly deep water to which the flats drain. I always go there for the lowering tide because I believe the predatory fish ambush the bait when theyre taken off the flat. Anyway, two hours of flicking metals (poppers, stickbaits and microjigs) for nothing, except a follow by a king/salmon/greenback tailor. I couldn't quite pick it out. Its going to be a tough few months...

Edited by nickb111

Got out to rose bay this morning in the hope of bonito, salmon, kings etc, but not expecting too much considering its already winter. Arrived for sunrise which coincided with first light, and set up gear while I waited for the tide to get moving. I fish near the sea plane base, in surprisingly deep water to which the flats drain. I always go back for the lowering tide because I believe the predatory fish ambush the bait when theyre taken off the flat. Anyway, two hours of flicking metals (poppers, stickbaits and microjigs) for nothing, except a follow by a king/salmon/greenback tailor. I couldn't quite pick it out. Its going to be a tough few months...

depends where youre fishing mate, keep prospecting around, id fish some deeper structure at this time. Also go ultra light gear, it helps when fish are timid.

The water was really warm, and there wasn't any wind so it was quite a pleasant day. I was fishing 30lb braid and 30lb mono leader, I'm thinking of downsizing to 10-20 lb braid and 20 lb fluoro leader. Krispy have you got any spots you could pm me with deeper access (harbour preferred, maybe pier 2?), would be a great hand! Harold I had a beanie and ski jacket on so I wouldn't blame you for feeling a bit chilly.