A magical moment

snatcher

Decided to have a dusk bass session in Luce Bay,Mull of Galloway,Scotland last night. Was just starting to tackle up on the beach when I noticed an otter in the water about 50 yds away. I hid behind a large boulder hoping that it would swim closer to me. It only emerged onto the shore about 12 feet away from me with a flatfish in its mouth :sun:

It then started to munch away on it. I tried to stay as still as I could in case I spooked it.. I was treated to this for about 10 minutes. Eventually the otter finished its meal and off it swam.

I then tackled up my lure rod - a 12' Sonic carp rod/fixed spool reel/15 lb mono. I used a 20g carp conroller float as my casting weight and a 10' mono trace with a 6" holographic sandeel implaled on a 2/0 baitholder hook. I cast this out as far as I could and then slowly started to twitch it back. I must have fished for about 30 mins without a take when the rod suddenly slammed over. It was a big fish and was taking line in several good runs. I had it on for about 4/5 mins before the hook pulled out !!!!! I swore at this point.

It was virtually pitch black by this stage so decided to have a a last few casts before packing in. I am pleased I did as another bass slammed into the lure. Not a monster but gave me a good fight.. It was a fat fish just over 3lb I reckon. A quick photo and I carefully put it back to fight another day. Cannot add the bass picture due to poor internet connection here in our caravan. Will try and add it later.

It was good to catch a bass but the otter encounter was the icing on the cake for me.

John

Edited by snatcher

Nice.

We often fish with dolphins swimming around the boat. It’s great to take a few moments off and just watch the spectacle. We are so blessed to be able to witness events such as this and spectacular sunrises and sunsets, nature at its finest.

Nice.

We often fish with dolphins swimming around the boat. It’s great to take a few moments off and just watch the spectacle. We are so blessed to be able to witness events such as this and spectacular sunrises and sunsets, nature at its finest.

Here on the Mull of Galloway we are blessed with a large gannet population. I do admire their spectacular dives into the sea.

Also normally carry my photographic equipment with me and have been lucky enough to see/photograph the Aurora Borealis on a few occasions.

It makes up for the occasional blank !!!!

John

Nice fish mate definitely looks like an Aussie Bass/Mullet hybrid lol. I love fishing in other countries and the new species & scenery are what I love about travel fishing. Tarpon in Florida for me next year and I cant wait!

Nice fish mate definitely looks like an Aussie Bass/Mullet hybrid lol. I love fishing in other countries and the new species & scenery are what I love about travel fishing. Tarpon in Florida for me next year and I cant wait!

Snap !!!!!!

We will be staying at our daughters at Collaroy from early Oct for 3 months. Looking forward to catching a few new species on this trip. My daughters place is only 100 yds from the beach and right beside Narabeen Lake so will be fishing a lot. Have also had the offer of a few trips out from some kind fishos on here :sun:

Have managed 43 species in 4 trips now so its getting much harder to get new ones. Would like to target a jewwie on this trip so if any kind angler would like to assist a pommie bar steward on my quest feel free to shout up :sun:

John