Surface Poppers

Lightweight

Did a fair bit of fishing over the weekend at Lake StClair, it seems the last week has been particualarily unkind to me :1badmood: . It is the first trip i was unable to land a fish. :mad3: Either way the Camp oven lamb roast and the dozen beers listening to the Swans beat our western friends was a nice relief...

I have a few questions to the Bass masters. I tried all the normal haunts and could not raise a fish, i threw Jackal Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, trolled a few deep diving Deception lures, jigged some plastics, i even tried some SX40's... everything i knew how, but just couldn't get a strike. There was fish around, i could see them feeding on the surface, smashing bugs and insects. I was wondering in that situation should i try some surface poppers? I have never used them, nor do i own any. Has anyone had any luck with these types of lures on Bass and what type did you use?

Warwick.

The Jaded Fisherman

Not sure about Lake St Claire, but I went bass fishing in a river last week and was using poppers (fly) without a strike, while the other guys I was fishing with were getting very nice bass with blades and plastics. I reckon it might be a bit early for poppers, but as soon as there is a hot balmy afternoon with heaps of bugs and insects, it might be a different story.

I think Pete's right re: the carp. Most of the surface activity you see at St.C and GB are carp.. doesn't stop you turning your head when you hear a splash tho' :)

There're heaps of surface bass lures on the market, here's a few of the most popular surface lures used in Oz:

River2Sea Bugga Chugs, bubble pops and cicada pop 55's; Taylor Made surface breakers and basscada's (also do a few nice fizzers, which I've forgotten the name of right now); Heddon Torpedo's and Jitterbugs are also very popular.

Bass are taking poppers RIGHT NOW, don't wait for the cicada's to start humming, get out there and start 'blooping'! :)

Puk'

Edited by Pukka