Vanuatu - Wahoo

njsconst

Just returned from a recent trip to Vanuatu and was able to squeeze in some fishing with the locals.

Caught this Wahoo off the southern Island of Vanuatu (Tana) on a 6in Xrap lure in 400mts of water literally 300mts off the coast.

Taken on my Stradic 8000 loaded with 50lb Power Pro braid and 30lb Black Magic mono leader on a Shimano T-Curve 7ft (3pc)travel rod.

I have some awesome GoPro underwater footage of the fish.

post-2204-0-47756200-1436250712_thumb.jpg

Edited by njsconst

The rope on the deck is their anchor rope....all 500mts of it. They anchor in those depths and fish with deck winches using what looked like 300lb mono for a deep water fish called 'Poulet'.

Glad I didn't have to pull the anchor up by hand! Poulet makes up a large part of the locals diet and is readily available in all the local restaurants too. Its very tasty.

In regards to the rebuild post Cyclone PAM it was very disappointing to see such little progress. Port Vila itself is obviously back up and running and one would hardly know that the place was ripped apart four months ago. However once you get out of Port Vila into the villages and especially on Tanna the locals are still living under blue tarpaulins where their roofs were blown off. Some coastal roads were washed away and new roads haven't been re graded or repaired so the local have to go 4WDing through paddocks just to get around. This itself is causing a lot of unrest between the private land owners and locals just trying to get by.

In Tanna, the southern island that was hit hardest by the cyclone everything is still damaged. Even the airport building roof is missing half its roof. You cannot get any fruit on Tanna as all the fruit trees were destroyed. The locals are living wholly on root vegetables, rice, chicken and fish.

Thankfully UNICHEF has provided large temporary tents so the schools and some hospitals can carry on. Hopefully these buildings can be repaired before the wet season arrives in a few months as inside these tents will be unbearable with the humidity and temps above 30'C+.

The underlying issue with the rebuild is that the Vanuatu Government was corrupt and only last week the people threw the Government out and appointed a new Government.

They have a very different political system to ours in the way it operates. All the aid that was sent over to Vanuatu by Australia and New Zealand still remain sitting on the docks in shipping containers in Port Vila which was very disappointing to hear.

Our very own Gov Gen Peter Cosgrove was on Tanna last week when we were there have a look around at what needs to be done. What the people of Vanuatu need is TOURISM! It is a beautiful place with world class fishing and amazing scuba diving. Tourism is down more then 50% post cyclone and it is hurting the locals who rely upon it.

Hopefully with the change of Government there will be some much need progress in the coming months as it is a beautiful place.

Edited by njsconst

Nice wahoo njsconst!

I'm heading over in 2 weeks to invest some tourist dollars, can't wait.

Very disappointing about the Governments response to the cyclone!

I'm hoping to through a few lures around the lagoons/drop offs from the resort kayaks when my young bloke has an afternoon naps ;-) but also do a charter or two and catch something a little larger fingers crossed.

The rope on the deck is their anchor rope....all 500mts of it. They anchor in those depths and fish with deck winches using what looked like 300lb mono for a deep water fish called 'Poulet'.

Glad I didn't have to pull the anchor up by hand! Poulet makes up a large part of the locals diet and is readily available in all the local restaurants too. Its very tasty.

In regards to the rebuild post Cyclone PAM it was very disappointing to see such little progress. Port Vila itself is obviously back up and running and one would hardly know that the place was ripped apart four months ago. However once you get out of Port Vila into the villages and especially on Tanna the locals are still living under blue tarpaulins where their roofs were blown off. Some coastal roads were washed away and new roads haven't been re graded or repaired so the local have to go 4WDing through paddocks just to get around. This itself is causing a lot of unrest between the private land owners and locals just trying to get by.

In Tanna, the southern island that was hit hardest by the cyclone everything is still damaged. Even the airport building roof is missing half its roof. You cannot get any fruit on Tanna as all the fruit trees were destroyed. The locals are living wholly on root vegetables, rice, chicken and fish.

Thankfully UNICHEF has provided large temporary tents so the schools and some hospitals can carry on. Hopefully these buildings can be repaired before the wet season arrives in a few months as inside these tents will be unbearable with the humidity and temps above 30'C+.

The underlying issue with the rebuild is that the Vanuatu Government was corrupt and only last week the people threw the Government out and appointed a new Government.

They have a very different political system to ours in the way it operates. All the aid that was sent over to Vanuatu by Australia and New Zealand still remain sitting on the docks in shipping containers in Port Vila which was very disappointing to hear.

Our very own Gov Gen Peter Cosgrove was on Tanna last week when we were there have a look around at what needs to be done. What the people of Vanuatu need is TOURISM! It is a beautiful place with world class fishing and amazing scuba diving. Tourism is down more then 50% post cyclone and it is hurting the locals who rely upon it.

Hopefully with the change of Government there will be some much need progress in the coming months as it is a beautiful place.

That’s a great update on current conditions, if not disappointing to hear what’s happening. It’s an awesome place to visit and fish.

Cheers Blood Knot

Other than my rod & reel I gave all the lures and soft plastics that I took over to the local fella who took me out fishing.

He was very appreciative as that sort of stuff is not only hard to get on Tanna but very expensive for the locals.

Edited by njsconst

njsconst! I was just there last week with the misses. Such a beautiful place.- We stayed at the Breakas in Port Villa. I had intended to get out on a boat with some help from boatart but unfortunately I couldn't plan it around our booked activities.

We noticed the "tourist hotspots" like Port Villa had recovered quickly, although no more than 10 minutes out were still struggling. It was really full on. I was very happy to donate some money to Lelepa Island village to help the local school, I was also happy to be spending money with the local tour companies and hearing about what our spending was doing for their local community.

The resort next to where we stayed was still closed, some missing parts of the roof, missing doors, shutters missing etc. I can hardly imagine what it would of been like for the locals when it hit!

Awesome idea donating some lures :)