Lake Lyell

Hooky.

G'day Raiders,

Just a quick heads up for anyone wanting to get on to a trout or two.

I spent the last four days (starting last Thursday) up at Lake Lyell and the trout were still readily available.

The quantity wasn't as large as my last outing but the quality was excellent.

The smallest fish caught went around the 36cm mark (a rainbow) and the biggest was a nice brown trout caught by my mate which went 73cms and weighed in at around 5.5kgs, a deadset horse.

The trout seemed to move around a fair bit but once you found them it was easy going. :1fishing1:

BTW, I didn't keep or eat any, the lake is like a stagnant water hole in some places which was a bit sad and put me off eating anything but if you're keen for a feed I can't see why you couldn't chew on a fish or two.

cheers

Hooky

G'day Chris, yep, a top few days alright. :beersmile:

As for what the fish were taking. We spent most of the time trolling and the hardbodies were mostly Ecogear SX40's and 48's, halco scorpions (micro mullet pattern), smilin jack minnows and an assortment of producers minnow lures and frenzy's.

Basically anything that had a rattle seemed to do the trick, especially in the areas which were thick with algae etc.

cheers

Hooky

Edited by Hooky.

5.5kg!  :1yikes:  :1yikes:

That's bloody huge! Did you get a pick of it Paul?

It'd have to be a horse, we got jews that long today that were only 4kg.

69123[/snapback]

G'day Andrew

Yep, I'll get my mate to email them to me today as they are on his camera.

It was a big buck and when it pulled the scales down I couldn't believe it either when I compared it to some jews I've seen.

Nearly all the trout on the weekend were full and fat and full of roe and the white stuff in the males. Very solid fish.

It was a case of the bigger the lure the bigger the fish.

cheers

Hooky

EDIT: I just checked my email and he sent it last night.

post-9-1127768983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hooky.

That's a ripper brown! I'd be getting that bad boy mounted.

69226[/snapback]

We never even thought of mounting the fish. :( Just sent it back swimming. :1prop:

I think what made this fish so heavy was the fact that the actual flesh or meat was very dense. It really had a solid feel about it and very firm and as strong as an ox.

At first my mate held it by the jaw and it just clamped down and didn't release his hand until he shook the fish and dropped it on the deck. The darn this was even snappin' at him like a dog. :074:

Great fish mate!!!

im thinking of going to lake lyell this long weekend.

would just like to know if anyone knows if there are boat hire places at the lake, and accomodation, and if the place is accesable without a 4WD?

thanks

69242[/snapback]

G'day muscle, No need for a 4WD and accomodation is in the form of camping/caravaning unless you want to stay in a motel and then you would need to stay in Lithgow or thereabouts. They have a very tidy shower/toilet block for a camping/caravan only site which is very handy.

If you want to know more about Lake Lyell and if they are hiring out their boats at the moment or anything else happening you can ring the caretakers house on 02 6355 6347 or email lakelyel@lisp.com.au

Good luck. :thumbup:

Don't think they'll hire boats till the ramps open,I hear it's only just in the

water at the moment.

Regards Charlie

69306[/snapback]

G'day Charlie

The main ramp is open and you are allowed to use it. We were told we could try and use it if we wanted to but since we were camping up the back there was no need to.

The water level is just lapping below the last piece of concrete.

IMHO, it would be best to close it as it is a steep drop at the end which makes it a bit hard when launching. :05:

BTW, water level when we arrived was at 26% and over the four day period it probably dropped by about a foot and a half. :(

cheers

Hooky

Sounds as though you had a fantastic time Hooky.

When you talk about accomadation do you mean there are on site caravans for hire. My children want to go camping, trouble is my daughters version of camping is a caravan, possibly with its own bathroom. Like mother like daughter.

Anyway, thats one hell of a trout.

Sounds as though you had a fantastic time Hooky.

When you talk about accomadation do you mean there are on site caravans for hire. My children want to go camping, trouble is my daughters version of camping is a caravan, possibly with its own bathroom. Like mother like daughter.

Anyway, thats one hell of a trout.

69403[/snapback]

G'day Martin

There are no onsite vans, it's BYO.

They do have one powered site but I would imagine you'd need to book it in advance.

If you have a van you could take it, no problems.

The only trouble at the moment is that the water level is low which makes for a long walk to the waters' edge from the main camp site and the water is full of algae in some places so it's not really reccomended for swimming at the moment.

Personally, as far as family goes, I reckon there would be better places to go to at the moment than Lake Lyell. :(

I took my wife and daughter up there once, a good 8 years ago, and a storm came through and wiped our tent out. :wife:

Needless to say they don't come with me any more........four and a half stars plus for these two chicks nowadays. :074:

cheers

Hooky

Thanks Hooky

I can relate to the 4.5 star rating issue also with the two girls in mylife.

I will have to do a search for a place as they insist if we go away then minimum is a caravan and I dont know any 4.5 star resorts with trout fishing on their door step.

Awesome Brown Paul!  Wish I had known you were heading up, would have driven up to join you for a session.  Well done again.

Cheers

Windy

69483[/snapback]

Sorry Matt, I never thought to tell many people, although I think I mentioned it to you in a PM just after your last visit to Lyell. :tease:

I usually just get up and go where ever, when ever.

I'll be heading back very soon as there is no way I'm letting my mate, a novice at that, pull in a brown like that and show me up. :074:

The bugger also pulled in a 65 model straight afterwards. :mad3:

cheers

Hooky