Beach lure rig failing

Lutha

Hi Raiders

Literally just got home from a session at Narrabeen and would like some advice.

Using 20lb braid to 20lb leader (all i had at home after leaving work early). albright knot to a metre of leader running metal lures with trebles. is this line/leader combo okay? have been bait fishing mostly lately.

in a 3 hour session, 6-7 hook ups, salmon by the looks of it by the jumps and only landed one. 3 spat the lure and two knot failures (first time with an albright so not surprised).

Question is, are swivels a better option? i like the idea of clip swivels to change out lures easily, and my knots are probably pretty ordinary

Is this rate of spitting the lure normal? i have heard of people swapping out trebles?

Probably my inexperience as well, was hard to keep tension as surf was up a bit and lost tension in the wash, but think i lost them when they jumped?

renewed my faith that people can actually catch fish. :)

thanks in advance

lutha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A single hook should be more successful. You can tie it to the front eyelet knife jig style using knot-able steel trace but have the trace long enough so the hook is past the tail. You can use electrical tape to keep the trace and hook close to the lure body. This way the fish can't use the weight of the lure to throw the hook.

Are you doubling the braid first before tying the mono leader? You should be using a bimini twist with at least 40 turns. I would also be using a double uni knot instead of an albright.

Edited by billfisher

Thanks guys, have used a double uni previously and might need to go back to it..

bimini and FG looked tough so bailed on the idea, will re-look.

far point re the hooks, new lures but factory jobs, would you suggest switching out?

not quite sure what doubling the braid means billfisher?

No need for a bimini ....Just a simple FG will suffice...if your only chasing Salmon

As for hooks you can replace them with a better brand, either VMC or Owner are good brands, or you can sharpen the ones on them with a decent file

Most hooks on lures, except really expensive lures aren't sharp straight out of the box

Edited by Crossfire63

Thanks guys, have used a double uni previously and might need to go back to it..

bimini and FG looked tough so bailed on the idea, will re-look.

far point re the hooks, new lures but factory jobs, would you suggest switching out?

not quite sure what doubling the braid means billfisher?

That's what the bimini is - a knot to double your line. Actually it is very easy to tie - even easier with braided line. As the braided line is very fine it will help with the knot strength by doubling it. The double uni is very easy to tie and will be very strong (so long as you have doubled the braid).

That sort of fishing as mentioned above keep it simple. If you can learn the FG knot once you have done it a few times it's easy however the double uni is one of the easiest knots to tie. When the salmon jump and throw their heads around the weight of the metal and the tension on the line will pull the hook. I've never used a single hook on metals off the beach but there would be no harm in giving it a crack. We often throw big plastics off the beach and quiet often get the same result with the sambos

Do all my fishing (99% lures) with braid to leader, fg knot is your best friend. Double uni has served me well over the years as well. Never needed to double and salmon in the surf 20lb to 20lb with an fg will land anything.

Another knot to consider is the slim beauty, or a variant of it where you start the knot like a slim beauty with a double (figure 8) knot in the mono leader, and thread the braid through as per slim beauty, but tie a uni knot with the braid. I find this tends to slip less and is still pretty low profile from repeated casting.

I use a 5-twist Surgeon knot for anything up to 15lb mainline (easiest knot ever and very strong when tied correctly) and a Bimini Twist to GT knot for anything above 15lb. This knot is so strong that (if tied correctly) the line will snap back down near the reel with a huge "CRACK!"

Yeah mate depending on what style of plastic, personal preference is big shad styles in all colours depending on conditions and just a slow roll with pauses and hops nothing too erratic you see some people absolutely ripping their plastics.

Thanks guys, FG held up this arvo but it was tough to find a good gutter so no luck, few fishos up Northern Narrabeen so stayed at south end to not crowd them out.

Thanks Tyrone, any specific type/jig heads?

My two go two styles would be the ready rigged storm wild eye shads "6" inch or the squidgey fish shads in the bigger sizes generally in natural colours.I have been throwing some of the bigger hard bodies Around as well for some success on tailor and salmon off the beach and kings and Bonnies from the stones but no Jew as of yet. The Rapala X-rap cast in the mullet or pilchard colours are the go. Again just slow roll these with pauses and twitches.

Bad luck about this afternoon mate,

As already stated, keep it simple. You're better off tying a knot that you are familiar with and tie well, even though it may not be rated the best, rather than tying a you-beaut difficult knot badly. and have it fail. I'm still working on the FG. to join braid to leader. I prefer to tie that one at home. If I have to put new leader on while I'm fishing, the double uni knot is the most successful for me. I've not had one let go, except when I've been snagged. Would you believe I still use the 5 turn half blood knot (or improved cinch knot) to tie on my hooks, snaps and swivels. I know I'm tying these correctly, and as a result, they are easy. I can even tie the last in the dead of night without a nearby light if I have to.

A single hook on a metal slice would be worth trying. Or you could cut one of the hooks off your treble, effectively turning it into a "W" hook. I've found that tailor don't throw them, where I've had plenty of tailor spit a treble. It should be as effective on salmon.