Have your say to make boating better in NSW

mrsswordfisherman

Have your say to make boating better in NSW

Transport for NSW is encouraging boaters from across the state to have their say on proposed changes to the regulation of marine safety in NSW.

General Manager Maritime Management Centre Howard Glenn said updating the Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009 was aimed at promoting safety, reducing red tape and improving administrative efficiency.

“NSW is achieving good results in maritime safety. The challenge is to continue to deliver an appropriate balance of regulation, education and compliance,” Mr Glenn said.

“The long-term boating fatality rate is trending downward and more people are wearing lifejackets than ever before, however there is more we can do to foster a culture of safe, responsible and enjoyable boating.

“In order to make changes that benefit boaters well into the future, I encourage all interested members of the public to have their say. We want to hear from you,” Mr Glenn said.

Customers will benefit from changes to current boat licences and registration including the introduction of a ten year boat licence and removal of the need for boat registration stickers. These changes harmonise roads and maritime licensing procedures and reduce the administrative burden on industry and customers.

It is also proposed to streamline the classes of boating licences and simplify the fee structure for boat licences including a reduction in fees charged for Personal Watercraft Licences, resulting in savings for customers of $101 on a five-year licence, $64 on a three-year licence and $56 on a one-year licence.

The Maritime Management Centre within Transport for NSW is leading the regulatory review and has consulted widely over the past nine months. This has included a previous round of public submissions and direct consultations with peak recreational boating groups, RMS and NSW Police Marine Area Command.

A copy of the proposed new Marine Safety Regulation 2015 and accompanying Regulatory Impact Statement are available from the Maritime Management Centre website.

Submissions can be made online to the Maritime Management Centre.

The closing date for submissions is Friday 28 August 2015.

I think they better increase the fee for PWC and even best if they can get rid of them out NSW. :fishing1:

Thank god for the reduction of pwc licence fees!!! Its a dead rort!!! Sooo expensive to own a pwc just in the licence itself!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I think they better increase the fee for PWC and even best if they can get rid of them out NSW. :fishing1:

Haha good one mate!! Were not all sterotyped into the "dickhead" category!! Some people actually were brought up the right way and respect other boaters. Yes they should be more harsh on penalties for improper usage but not up the fees. Just like saying they should up your drivers licence cause there is a portion of clowns on the road out there therefor you should be punished!!

Haha good one mate!! Were not all sterotyped into the "dickhead" category!! Some people actually were brought up the right way and respect other boaters. Yes they should be more harsh on penalties for improper usage but not up the fees. Just like saying they should up your drivers licence cause there is a portion of clowns on the road out there therefor you should be punished!!

Very true about it. Not all of them but majority of them. I have seen only a very few PWC users comply the waterway rules. Well I hope all "DK" in my area (Botany Bay and Georges River) and leave the other areas in peace. Water Police should have a crack down on them.

Very true about it. Not all of them but majority of them. I have seen only a very few PWC users comply the waterway rules. Well I hope all "DK" in my area (Botany Bay and Georges River) and leave the other areas in peace. Water Police should have a crack down on them.

Yes mate that is the best method to cut down these clowns out and off the water. However raising fees is not the best way as most the gooses out there are the ones with "more money than brains" so they dont care about 100 over 5 years but being harsher on penalties and more of a crackdown is a great start.

You get them everywhere. At sussex earlier this year i had about 8 morons hammer past me in a 4 knot zone with no regards to distance off the shore or swimmers in the water.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk