Birthday money's burning a hole in my pocket!

adamski

Hey Raiders,

My family and girlfriend know I'm super-keen on fishing and to stop me from harping on about it for the next 12 months (fat chance!) they've given me a voucher and some cash towards a new combo for my birthday. I'd like to put together a heavier outfit that I can use to flick plastics for mulloway and kingfish land-based when the warmer weather kicks in, but I have no idea where to start.

I reckon I can spend about $400-450 in total and in the past I've looked at some of the heavier Daiwa Gen Blacks. On other sites/fishraider threads the Samaki Zing and Pflueger Trion also came up, I'm not sure about reel sizes/brands (do Shimano do Stradics in 3000 or 4000?). I don't want to overkill though, so I'd still like to limit myself to a 10-12 lb outfit maximum. I'm heading to a tackle shop tomorrow, so if anyone has any last minute advice about general ranges to look at I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,

Adam

Hi Adam. There are lot of viable alternatives out there. I don't flick for kingfish and only chase them on bait but for an alrounder plastics setup for mulloway, a 2-5 or 3-6 kg rated rod at around 7' and a 2000-3000 (2500/3000 size Shimano or 2000/2500 sized Daiwa) sized reel is right in the slot. Out of your suggestions, Daiwa and Samaki make a lot of rods that might be a good fit for you in the right line class. the Pflueger 3-6 however is not made for plastics work. The last time I felt one, the butt of the rod was too long and uncomfortable. Hope that helps.

Hey mate I've got a combo along those lines:

Daiwa Morethan 3012H

Daiwa Battler Shorehunter 86 MH

YGK WX4 Grand Pe 2.5 (30lb)

30 cm tailor still put a significant bend in the rod, yet it has grunt further down.

To get it within the budget a similar combo:

Gen Black Supacaster $150

Daiwa Ballistic 3000H $270

The braid I have on my current real is rubbish, power pro in 10-20 lb will do !

I have used the supacaster before and it is in no way overkill for kings. Most importantly go to a shop and get them to put the reel on the rod, and see how it balances..

Edited by nickb111

Thank you for the advice guys, I'll keep an eye out for the rods and reels you mentioned and check the balance in the shop. I'll probably be re-spooling my current reel with slightly heavier braid too as the 3lb I have on at the mo is getting blown about with the slightest hint of a breeze.

Samurai Inflict 6-12lb - $249

Shimano Stradic 3000FJ - On sale for $189, if you shop around or your local price matches, due to the new model coming out at the end of this month.

Edited by PM79

Samurai Inflict 6-12lb - $249

Shimano Stradic 3000FJ - On sale for $189, if you shop around or your local price matches, due to the new model coming out at the end of this month.

Yeah, I saw the new Stradic was released in Japan recently and a couple of other raiders mentioned the price of the FJ or Ci4 might go down as a result. I wonder if it's worth holding on til the new model is officially released here?

How are those 6-12 lb samurais for fighting power? Enough for a rat king?

Definitely, but there's always the 8-16lb model for peace of mind.

I wonder if it's worth holding on til the new model is officially released here?

Get them while you can as stores are selling out.

The same thing happened with the FI model when the FJ was about to be released.

Edited by PM79

Woo new toys man! You must have really pissed off the gf haha.

your current fj will do most of your mid work (get some jap braid like the ygk or even sunline and you can get thin diameter for heavy break strain) maybe even a second spool,

Then go for about a 4000ish shimano or 3000 daiwa. The FK stradic will be out within a month or so, so expect great savings on the fj if you're still into em :)

Have a look at samaki zing extreme they do a great 7 footer in the 3-6ish range that I was going to get but ended up with the black label.

Love my black label and the v2s are even better apparently so check them out. Handled a rat king no worries.

Have fun choosing! Its half fun half pain! :)

Thanks again for the help folks.

Woo new toys man! You must have really pissed off the gf haha.
your current fj will do most of your mid work (get some jap braid like the ygk or even sunline and you can get thin diameter for heavy break strain) maybe even a second spool,
Then go for about a 4000ish shimano or 3000 daiwa. The FK stradic will be out within a month or so, so expect great savings on the fj if you're still into em :)
Have a look at samaki zing extreme they do a great 7 footer in the 3-6ish range that I was going to get but ended up with the black label.
Love my black label and the v2s are even better apparently so check them out. Handled a rat king no worries.
Have fun choosing! Its half fun half pain! :)

Hahaha! Cheers for the advice dude. I ended up with a 3Zero matched with a Stradic ci4. Girlffriend got me a voucher so I had to buy instore and I wanted to upgrade from the FJ (mine is beginning to get a wee bit worn from so much use). I know the 3Zero a wee bit last year, but the other rods were out of my price range and that one seemed to match the specs other raiders mentioned. Figured the ci4 will also work fine on the Itchy Twitchy. Taking it out tomorrow for a test run round the Parra, then meeting Ryder for a first blackfish attempt, followed by more flicking on Sunday- hoping this warmer weekend might produce some better sized fish than the last few!

Lemme know if you've got time and fancy wetting a line somewhere, be interesting to get a second opinion on the new outfit.

Mate! Well done, very keen to check out the 3zero series. Just got my first ci4 as well they're a too reel, I'm sure you'll love it. That should put some mean beasties at your feet :)

Back from a few weeks overseas so definitely keen to have a flick. You might see me on the kayak on the parra tomorrow :)