Got a new reel for free

fisholb

Hi all

Took my Penn 760 to my local tackle shop for repairs. The drag became faulty when me and my mates Steve and Rohfel fought a monster off the beach recently.

My reel was sent away for repairs and two weeks later I got the call that my reel is ready. Went and pick up my reel and was totally surprised that I got a brand new one for free. How good was that. I got my other Penn 950ssm spool replaced for free as well. Been using Penn reels for over five years now and I loved them. Caught alot of fish off the rocks and beaches and haven't let me down.

post-18634-14384760303894_thumb.jpg

Nice. I recently upgraded to a 650SSM for big fish when surf fishing. I didn't want to spend over $100 so opted for the SSM over the SSV or something fancier.

So far, so good - christened it this week with a little shovel-nose shark.

Good reel, good value.

Although - do you notice that the bail arm gets stuck in some positions? My only gripe with the reel.

What was the monster that wore out the drag?

Nice. I recently upgraded to a 650SSM for big fish when surf fishing. I didn't want to spend over $100 so opted for the SSM over the SSV or something fancier.

So far, so good - christened it this week with a little shovel-nose shark.

Good reel, good value.

Although - do you notice that the bail arm gets stuck in some positions? My only gripe with the reel.

What was the monster that wore out the drag?

Thanks

The bail arm shouldn't get stuck at all

You should get it check out

Yes that monster we fought off the beach we didnt get to see

It won its freedom after over 1hr

Best guess was an eagle ray

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Must have been disappointing. Never heard of eagle rays but a quick google and it looks like something that would have been worthwhile getting a closer look at.

My bail arm sticks on the black connecting arm that joins with the rod when I try to cast where the bail arm touches the connecting arm when you open it. It's a minor annoyance - you just have to rotate the spool slightly - but an annoyance nonetheless.

Have you tried the SSVs? I might get a bigger one for a beach set-up when summer rolls around. I'm thinking reels in the 5000-8000 range so even an 850 or a 950 might do the job.

Anyone tried the live liner model on the SSV?

Must have been disappointing. Never heard of eagle rays but a quick google and it looks like something that would have been worthwhile getting a closer look at.

My bail arm sticks on the black connecting arm that joins with the rod when I try to cast where the bail arm touches the connecting arm when you open it. It's a minor annoyance - you just have to rotate the spool slightly - but an annoyance nonetheless.

Have you tried the SSVs? I might get a bigger one for a beach set-up when summer rolls around. I'm thinking reels in the 5000-8000 range so even an 850 or a 950 might do the job.

Anyone tried the live liner model on the SSV?

I had the 10500ssv that I used for jigging

Sold it due to not being use more often

Replaced it with the saragosa 20000sw

My mate got the 4500ssv and he loves it

I use my penn 950ssm and 760ll off the beach and rocks when I'm targetin salmon bonito kingys Jews sharks and tailor

I think the 6500ssv will be a good all rounder for the beach rocks and boat