Iron Cove Flathead on Lures

Ocean Addiction

I needed a few pictures for an upcoming blog about catching flathead so popped down to Iron Cove this afternoon for a quick flick. Given how cold today was I thought it would be hard work trying to entice anything to hit a lure.

Half a dozen casts in and I was on to a quality size flathead. It drew a bit of a crowd trying to subdue it on only 6lb leader. Managed to get it to shore and realised the net was back at home. After a few botched attempts to lift it out of the water it decided it had had enough and rolled on the leader. Luckily someone in the audience managed a few photos which they kindly transferred via bluetooth.

post-34510-0-56440800-1438761064_thumb.jpg

Fished for a little bit longer and got a second much smaller version at 45cm. This one was happy to pose for photos and got a few nice snaps.

post-34510-0-71739100-1438761073_thumb.jpg

It started to get a bit windy (even wearing 2 jumpers a cap and a hood over the top) so headed home.

David

Well done mate, Iron Cove can produce some good fish, though I've found it slow going on the last couple of attempts. I'm interested in the blog you mentioned- is it a "How to..." or a record of your experiences?

Good flatties there David

I love having iron cove as my local bay 5 mins from my house

It's a great little bay in there producing from salmon, Jews and even kings to just the bread and butter species

On the light gear it's good fun

Keep it up! Would love to read your blog

Cheers Gianni

Great work. The iron cove is one of my favourite places to fish, especially in the kayak. Some real quality fish in there and, because it's so polluted, nobody (most, anyway) eats anything, so the fish just get bigger and bigger.

Great work. The iron cove is one of my favourite places to fish, especially in the kayak. Some real quality fish in there and, because it's so polluted, nobody (most, anyway) eats anything, so the fish just get bigger and bigger.

Thanks Razzell, You do see the occasional angler playing for keeps but pretty much it is catch and release. I think it's getting better every year - or maybe I'm just figuring it out more.

I think it's getting better every year - or maybe I'm just figuring it out more.

You're not the first person I've heard that from, actually. A lot of the Bream competitions happen there and they've got some crackers from around the bay. I fished it heavily toward the end of the this summer and learnt how the bay works over tides etc. - it really is a great spot so close to the city.

If you are careful, you can lift them out by hand.

Hand under the body behind the head then lift. No need to grip too hard. If the fish does not like that, it will swim off, then you can retrieve it for another attempt when it should be more relaxed and tired. Have done so on flatties to about 60cm. Bigger ones can be more difficult and agro.

Personally I would never eat anything from Iron Cove. Even disregarding the industrial toxins from many years ago you have to think everything from City West Link, Victoria Road and Parramatta Road washes in there. Plus all the chemicals used in our local suburban area end up in there too. Explains why the smell of the mud at low tide can make your eyes water some days!

I do occasionally see people collecting the oysters and I really have to wonder...

You want to see some of the crap that washes into that bay from the canals too, personally I always take a bottle of hand sanitiser with me any time I'm down around there, Rozelle and the Cooks cos god knows what you might accidentally hook/get into a cut.