RTM Kayak Tempo mods

quochuy

Evening all.

Just finish modifying my Tempo kayak. Here is how the final result looks like:

post-31714-14390377499211_thumb.jpg

The milk crate:

post-31714-14390377843614_thumb.jpg

I just re-used my existing yak milk crate but cut a hole in the front wall so I can access the storage place under the esky. This is where I would put the anchor and keeper net. Attached to its back a PVC tube where I can slide in the light and red flag.

One PVC tube in each flushed rod holder to elevate the reels off the water level.

Adding a 10" hatch near the seat so I can access the hull content or slide in a fish.

post-31714-14390379486275_thumb.jpg

post-31714-1439037966903_thumb.jpg

Some pool noodle to help with floatation if the yak ever drinks water too much.

post-31714-14390380210118_thumb.jpg

Anchor's anchor :-D

post-31714-14390380643379_thumb.jpg

The console:

post-31714-14390381030699_thumb.jpg

I got inspired by the Kontiki aka Poor man kayak.

My previous console was good but was sometimes annoying as it blocks my feet:

post-31714-14390381768957_thumb.jpg

So I built a new one off a plastic toolbox sitting on a piece of styrofoam to level it up. It is kept in place by one chock cord on each side.

The transducer goes to the left. At the front some thin chock cord in zigzag allows placement of sunglasses or can of redbull (gives you fins) :-D

post-31714-143903837415_thumb.jpg

The PVC that holds the transducer goes to the back of the toolbox held in place with saddles and terminate with a lever on the right allowing lifting the transducer off the water when needed.

post-31714-14390384496142_thumb.jpg

The battery and tackle goes inside.

post-31714-14390385346239_thumb.jpg

Maybe one day I'll put the battery in the hull, remove the tackle and lay some styrofoam planks inside to turn the toolbox into a mini esky for keeping the fish.

Huy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome job! I was thinking of using a cooler bag to stash fish in the unused hull space but never got around to trying it. Is that what you are going to do with the hatch you installed? Lol when I first got my yak I thought it was a good idea to pop my fish in the front hatch (of a hobie) didn't know the spaces were connected and my fish were scattered throughout the hull. I now lug around a esky out the back, but if I'm going to install a live bait tank may need to free up some extra space.

you should swap out the sand anchor for a small grapple anchor there about $25 from BCF and i found that the 4mm braided line from bunnings works a treat for an anchor line

Thanks for the tip buddy. I already exchanged the sand anchor for a small Cooper Anchor and using a 2.5mm braided line.

post-31714-14392809572639_thumb.jpg

I also added a homemade anchor trolley.

Awesome job! I was thinking of using a cooler bag to stash fish in the unused hull space but never got around to trying it. Is that what you are going to do with the hatch you installed? Lol when I first got my yak I thought it was a good idea to pop my fish in the front hatch (of a hobie) didn't know the spaces were connected and my fish were scattered throughout the hull. I now lug around a esky out the back, but if I'm going to install a live bait tank may need to free up some extra space.

Cheers buddy

You've read my mind with the hatch and fish bag :-D. Problem is with the cost of the pieces and bits from our hardware shops I already reach budget limit. So I was thinking of buying those cheap Aldi cooler bag, dismantle them and hand sew them back into a bigger bag that will go in the hull thru the hatch.

Hahaha re your scattered fish. I did think of that but seeing that when I put my stuff in the hull they end up anywhere in the yak I thought "hmmm fish bag!".

Another idea although more difficult to make is a built-in custom esky. Would need to be built straight from inside of the yak from the front hatch then with some kind of extension tube that will go to the seat hatch allowing to slide the fish into the built-in esky... Madness huh?

For the bait tank you could replace it with a large PVC tube about 1m long and drill holes in it. Put your livies inside and suspend the tube in the water. That might not work in all situations though as would slow down the yak.

I added an anchor trolley:

post-31714-1439813346932_thumb.jpg

And a PVC rod holder rack for trolling and storing the rods (also serves as back rest lol):

post-31714-1439813386018_thumb.jpg

Edited by quochuy

• 10 months later...