Alvey acuisition

Pursuant to my question on Capstan reels (thanks Ambrose607), I also uncovered an old Alvey 4" reel. Probably made around the 60's. this reel has the Ferguson lever pivot and a simple spring drag. However, there's no model number that I could find to match.The problem is that the clicker spring is broken. I'll let the pic below describe it. There are people who are selling backing plates on line, but they are offloading 4 or more at a time for around $36 including postage. A bit too pricey for one old spring. So I'm shaking the tree again and asking if a Raider has one of these springs, perhaps still attached to a reel, or just the backing plate, that they want to re-home?

post-22908-0-51038300-1439517741_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

It's just me. I've always been a fixer. Nurse, electronics service, nurse again. I just can't stop wanting to make people and things work as best they can.

In this case, it's one component and the reel is fully functional, if I ever want to use it. BTW, you should see how these old Alveys come up using Brasso, as Alvey recommends. You can never completely remove the patina on the metalwok, but that's OK. It gives the reel it's vintage look. However, the spool buffs up like new with a bit of elbow grease. The two finishes combined work well and say ALVEY.

Edited by GreyNurse