Checking Trailer Bearings

Guest MarkD

Howya Fella,

I was considering fishing the Rack Day on the Hawkesbury but the journey up the coast got me thinking...I havent checked the bearings on my tralier since buying the boat. Until recently it wasnt a real concern as the trip to the ramp out the back was only a 100 Metres!

Can anyone advise on the practicalities and methods of checking bearings and what I should be looking for?

I am inclined to just aget a mechanic on the job so a recommendation for someone who'll do it at a good price would also be a help.

As always Thanks in advance :D:D

Cheers

Mark

G'day Mark

All you need to do is grab the top of the tyre and pull it forwards and backwards away from you and you will feel movement if they are loose or need replacement

If they need replacing its not that hard, I normally just pull one apart and take the bearing complete to an auto shop and buy two new ones

You have to make sure you load the bearings with grease before putting them in ( a good mechanic will describe this for you) then put them in and load the area with grease and tighten up the nut, go to a good tightness then back off a friction, spin the wheel (you'll see what I mean) and jobs done

Your bearings might not need replacing just a repack with grease and a tighten

Hope this helps

Give me a PM if you need more help

What suburb you in mate

Boppa

Their probably ok mate or just need a tighten and repack if you only ever travel that far with it if anything

If you need a hand I'm available most mornings at moment (still on hols) and afternoon is for :beer: :beer:

Boppa

:D HI Markd. I always Drill 2 holes, to take 2 grease nipples, in the grease cap on the end of the axel. Every 3 time i have it in salt water i give it about 6 pumps with the grease gun, I have never had a bearing let me down,touch wood.Once a year i will take the boat off to do abit of maintenance on the rollers etc. And that is the only time i touch the bearings,by the way i have never had to replace wheel bearings on a boat trailer. :) Ben. Edited by basic_fisho

Thanks Iain, Boppa & Ben

Ben, will have to have a look when I get home to see what you mean...I'm pretty sure there is no exposed nipple to get a grease gun at so a drill job might be the go. Either way for peace of mind I reckon I'll get a mechanic to take a look and drill the holes as my tool collection consists of a can of WD40 and a couple of screwdrivers!

Thanks again

Mark