Nelson Bay blackfish

adkel53

I'm staying at Williamtown for a couple of days with my son so threw in the blackfish gear (after consulting Scratchie for a bit of local knowledge) and picked up some good Georges River weed from my local tackle shop. Went for a reconnoitre along the Nelson Bay breakwall on Sunday evening and saw two pairs of young fellas with a bucket of blackies each - one pair on the channel side and one inside the harbour. Back about 1.45 pm today full of anticipation. Fished the channel side between a couple of locals. Slow going as the tide reached the top, with only 1 (very good) fish, despite seeing lots of them twisting and turning in the clear water at my feet The "neighbours" didn't get any, although another fellow about 25 metres to the east was getting a few. A storm was approaching from the west so sanity prevailed and we all left the wall just as the rain started. I decided to wait in the car for it to pass, which it dutifully did, and then headed back out . On the way I met one of the young locals from yesterday's reconnoitre and we exchanged pleasantries before he suggested I fish with him inside the harbour. Good decision as he gave me a few pointers and I landed 4 more nice fish, using his net to land them! He out-fished me but hey, who cares? I caught a couple of tasty meals of blackfish, learned a thing or two from a helpful young man and had some fun along the way.

I'll be back!!

Great to see you got amongst a few Arthur. The breakwall can be very packed at times but is probably the most productive spot for blackfish up here. (Other than some rock ledges, fair walk)

The locals are also a hit or miss but sounds like you found a nice fella. Hope you enjoy your time up here, sorry about the weather.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great to see you got amongst a few Arthur. The breakwall can be very packed at times but is probably the most productive spot for blackfish up here. (Other than some rock ledges, fair walk)

The locals are also a hit or miss but sounds like you found a nice fella. Hope you enjoy your time up here, sorry about the weather.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie. I had heard that some of the locals have their own rock on the wall!! I sent a text to a mate back home about the session and his reply was "did you have to push an old fella in the water to get a spot?"

Well done Kel. The port is great for blackfishing although i prefer Hawks Nest and Tea Gardens side as there are less protective/secretive locals but unfortunately also much less blackfish. Hope you did not touch Frank's rock he gets pissed off!

Would you mind sharing which tackle shops you got your weed from as I have not had much luck buying any green weed from tackle shops (in St George area at least). It would be good to have a s a back up when all the known canals and streams having nothing or have been picked bare.

Cheers

Jimbo

Well done Kel. The port is great for blackfishing although i prefer Hawks Nest and Tea Gardens side as there are less protective/secretive locals but unfortunately also much less blackfish. Hope you did not touch Frank's rock he gets pissed off!

Would you mind sharing which tackle shops you got your weed from as I have not had much luck buying any green weed from tackle shops (in St George area at least). It would be good to have a s a back up when all the known canals and streams having nothing or have been picked bare.

Cheers

Jimbo

Happy to share Jimbo, but won't mention the store name in case I infringe the rules. I think it is safe to say that it is in Narellan though!!