Prawning jervis bay

reese

Hi there

I'll be doing a few trips staying at crook haven n JB,

Looking for advice on Prawning spots, I have the gear, for walking or by boat.

I have been told of prawns running out of crook haven mouth so was thinking of anchoring in the Chanel.

I'll be there from November onwards

Any tips would be awesome

Hi Reese

If you are looking to prawn JB / Crookhaven way while walking there are two main options . You can go to lake Wollumboola near Culburra (Crookhaven) or go to the sand flats on the eastern side of St Georges Basin ( Jervis Bay area) along the road to Christians Minde.

If prawning from a boat then you need to go to St Georges Basin and anchor inside the entrance where the Sussex River meets the basin on a run out tide. Bright underwater lights facing up currentl and scoop nets and your away. As to the best time ??. Well some say the days leading up to a dark moon some say differently , I will leave that bit of research up to you

if you are planning to come down in the next few weeks I wouldnt bother as we have had around half a metre of rain in two days. The Basin is brown, the Shoalhaven is in flood and I reckon the murk goes half way to New Zealand??????

Took a quick pic of the river last night. if you are familiar with the boat ramp at Greys Beach in Nowra, well last night it was about fifteen feet under water. The building to the right is the old sailing club building on the south eastern side of the bridge - Didn't see any prawns though???

post-34228-0-34468500-1440631069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zacnoel

Thanks for the reply

November I'll be staying crook haven tourist park

October I'll be staying huskisson side

I'll try the lake when I'm on crook haven side.

My old man said when he was young guys used to anchor up opposite the crook haven wharf/boat ramp.

I'm sure there is no Prawning in JB its self.

But I'll give woolumboola lake and the greenwell point / crook haven mouth a go then Stgeorge basin ago when I'm on that side.

I'm knowledgable about times and moons and run out tides ect just more after locations that ppl have herd of were ppl are getting prawns.. Bit of fun

I'm heading to Jervis bay this weekend at the caravan park. Wonder if it's flooded or affected by recent rains. Does anyone know?

I don't think it will be flash unfortunately :( Give them a call and check they were not flooded?

Thanks for the reply

November I'll be staying crook haven tourist park

October I'll be staying huskisson side

I'll try the lake when I'm on crook haven side.

My old man said when he was young guys used to anchor up opposite the crook haven wharf/boat ramp.

I'm sure there is no Prawning in JB its self.

But I'll give woolumboola lake and the greenwell point / crook haven mouth a go then Stgeorge basin ago when I'm on that side.

I'm knowledgable about times and moons and run out tides ect just more after locations that ppl have herd of were ppl are getting prawns.. Bit of fun

As for crookhaven follow Zacnoels advice on that area, When you head over to husky, as he said the eastern edge of the basin you can wade through the water and scoop them..

Years ago we also used to go up Currembean creek in the boat of a night and scoop them up using lights and nets.

Thanks guys..

Father in law was in crook haven and said so many road we closed near the water,

Hopefully the park your going to isn't on the shores of st Georges basin.

Fingers crossed the park your at has good run off and soaks up.

G/ Day Reese ..Just a Heads up was having a look at lake Wollumboola this afternoon and it has been opened to the sea

So this year you might get a good prawn run . The Shoalhaven River is in flood at the moment & the mouth of ShoalHaven Heads is now open.

I fish the Basin on a Regular basis & looks like to me will take a Long time to come good.

I Live at Callala Bay So JB should be ok in a couple of days With the big shift of water & no Rivers as such feeding it.

So when your down in November All should be going Great Guns ( Hope )

Fisho.Sid if your down this weekend Brings Some Cards Mate :soccer_h4h:

Zacnoel has given you some good places & advice

Cheers Tom

darn, missed it, we are moving home to Culburra Beach this weekend, and I was hoping to see the Lake wollumboola opening and draining out. also can't wait until prawn season and warmer weather, getting the boat in and a bit of serious fishing. sunshine and seafood, bliss. may bump into you on your trip reese

Hi pirates gold

Where about do you do your Prawning and fishing in that area?

We are planning to fish jb for squid and kings, pending weather will try find a reef off crook haven then drift for flattys, if I jag the weather I'll be aiming for a run to the banks.

Going to be first time really hitting the area ( last two times weather has been un fishable )

Going to bring my Prawning gear, and maybe even a lobster pot if I can find a spot.

not sure about prawns, though most locals recommend the lake, I find the bigger flatties drifting along the 20 mtr mark, also 6 spine leatherjackets and red rocks, hit a shoal of very small snapper last season, looking for their parents this time. keep you eyes on your pot, mine got lifted and the bait clip removed (it was tied in)