Port Hacking - coloured water, scattered fish

Yowie

Headed to Deer Park early, nice colour in the water after the rain.

Pulled up a legal tailor on the first cast, but it spat the hook next to the boat. Fairly quiet after that. A couple of small reddies, then the trevally landed on board on the yakka line (no yakkas biting). Some fish splashing about occasionally, mostly out of casting range. Tried some lures, but not a hit from anything.

Drifted the sand flats on the run out tide with nippers, pulled the 2 bream, but nothing else.

Was heading for home, when I saw the water erupting with fish along Maianbar sand bank opposite the mouth of Burraneer Bay. The fish were swimming in water about a foot deep at times. Threw a few different lures at them for nothing, then one hit and it was the salmon. Changed lures but could not get any hits at all, even though I was dropping the lures in amongst the splashing fish.

Kept the salmon for mum, and when I gutted it, those little fish were in it's stomach. Really require a very small lure or maybe a fly, to try for the salmon again.

post-13153-0-82118500-1440645804_thumb.jpg

post-13153-0-73618200-1440645826_thumb.jpg

Thank for sharing. 1' hatch is difficult to match. Shame you didn't clean on the water. You could have flicked one back out.

Steve

Easiest is use a small barrel sinker either painted or polished and a treble hook. Great for stripies that mainly feed on little fellas like that.

Yowie

Nice post as always

Dave