Clear coat on aluminium paintwork

gregh1

Hi raiders,

My boat is starting to shed some of the clear coat. The color underneath is still fine. I am looking for advice from anyone on how to best address this. Should I peel it all off and apply a coat of clear again or do I need to do a whole new color respray.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hobbsie

Edited by Hooked 58

Guest 4myson

All depends on wether it's flaking off pretty easy ( means the surface wasn't prepaired properly ) then you'll have no option but to start from scratch ...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but peeling clearcoat means a new paint job 99% of the time.If its a small section and your very carefull you can try feathering the clearcoat back into the base coat then scotch bright a small area and blend the new coat of clear into the original clear for an invisible repair.Be warned this method takes lots of practice as its very easy to rub through the base coat leaving you no choice but to etch prime,paint and clear again blending into the existing paintwork.

If the clear is peeling bad you'll need to sand the lot feathering all edges,priming,painting and clearing the whole lot.This will involve hiring a spray booth as the paint you'll need will be 2k which is illegal to spray without an approved oven(booth).

Hope this answers some questions .

I'm an ex spray painter that use to paint landrover defenders(aluminium body)among some high end vehicles also.

If you want to have a go yourself and would like a step by step walk through feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help you out.

Cheers.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but peeling clearcoat means a new paint job 99% of the time.If its a small section and your very carefull you can try feathering the clearcoat back into the base coat then scotch bright a small area and blend the new coat of clear into the original clear for an invisible repair.Be warned this method takes lots of practice as its very easy to rub through the base coat leaving you no choice but to etch prime,paint and clear again blending into the existing paintwork.

If the clear is peeling bad you'll need to sand the lot feathering all edges,priming,painting and clearing the whole lot.This will involve hiring a spray booth as the paint you'll need will be 2k which is illegal to spray without an approved oven(booth).

Hope this answers some questions .

I'm an ex spray painter that use to paint landrover defenders(aluminium body)among some high end vehicles also.

If you want to have a go yourself and would like a step by step walk through feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help you out.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply mate! I thought as much but was hoping for an easy option. Looks like I may have to get it resprayed.

Another option if it is clear that is peeling is to strip back and let the al age naturally. It depends on the grade of aluminium used and whether bright al is the look you really need. There are a lot of aircraft and boat that don't use clear coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk