Measuring legal fish size

Guest Guest123456789

I believe the reasoning behind the rule was a again to remove any argument from the legal process. For example if you fillet your flathead at sea and you have a bag limit of 10 fish and 33 cm minimum length I believe you technically can still have 20 fillets provided the fillet is still 33cm long. Part of the issue is that the rules are written for everyone and while common sense may be assumed if someone is deemed to be breaking the law the rules need to cover every avenue for debate. It does cost a lot of money to prosecute offenders and there needs to be distinctions for a legal purpose. Probably why the tax laws are 35 chapters too....and people still slip through them.

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks Luke, this is a great piece of info. I actually caught a small questionable trevally both yesterday and today and used this crimping to push them over the 30cm mark.

Another couple I caught today were undersize. I agree with the poster who said fisheries probably do this to remove any doubt. I crimped their tails and they were still only 28cm. Easy throwback, no argument.

Could someone explain why there is a rule against cleaning your fish at the jetty or in the boat?

Has it got to do with discarding the insides into the water?

Cheers

Hi Mike,

It's an interesting question, I'm guessing the rule to not tamper with fish until you're a reasonable distance from the water is to stop people cutting heads off or filleting illegal fish (undersized or banned). Easy if you're on a boat or jetty, you're clearly not a 'reasonable distance from the water'. Rock or beach fishing is a bit more of a grey area. Where I fish from there is a fisheries cleaning station so I just use that (the rangers monitor this area and often measure catches, check licences etc).

Guest Guest123456789

Depends on the person, sometimes they are really bothered, I saw them chase a guy to the carpark at Clifton gardens to fine him for 3 undersized tailor

Classic! I can see a potential plot for a great will Ferrell or Ben stiller movie

I'm 5' 9". I don't tell people I'm 6' because that's how tall I am when I stand on tip-toes. Crimping the fish to extend its length is an absurd method of measurement. The legal size definitions exist so as to have some sort of protection for already decimated fish stocks. Sure, they may be somewhat arbitrary, but they're a line in the sand which everyone should adhere to so that there's no dispute.

To me, this feels like clutching at straws and is not a method I would support. People can do what they like within the boundaries of the law, of course, but this feels morally dubious.