New bottle of Castrol Gear Oil with reddish gunk

Captgogo

I was changing my gear oil , old oil nice and clean but a dark color. I then replaced it with a new bottle of Castrol Gear Oil and I notice after I had finish and that the overflow oil and some particles and then looked inside the empty new bottle and there was some red flaky and blops of dark sediment in the bottom of the new bottle.

Has anybody seen this before and do I need to drain this new oil out and how will I be sure to get all the sediment? I took the bottle back to BCF and they call BLA the distributors who are getting Castrol to call me.

My key concern is will this stuff up my gears long term? Anyone else out there ever experienced this or can offer any insights.

Thanks

Doesn't sound good .. I'd be draining it out & replace it ! Think long term "What's cheaper another bottle of oil or another gearbox "???

Agree but how do I get all the gunk out if it sticks to me gears. If I let it drain for days so as to hope get the most of the gunk eventually out but without putting oil back in for days in will this cause moisture to get in an rust to form on the gears?

Agree but how do I get all the gunk out if it sticks to me gears. If I let it drain for days so as to hope get the most of the gunk eventually out but without putting oil back in for days in will this cause moisture to get in an rust to form on the gears?

Your over thinking it now.Your gears are made from hardened steel and take a heck of a lot of debris to damage them.What you don't want is solids like flakes of steel grinding away at them,the oil you describe sounds like it has seperated a little and settled to the bottom of the container which does happen if its been sitting for any length of time.Iv'e come across it plenty of times over the years with all sorts of lubricants without any adverse affects.It's not going to do any harm to those gears.Just drain it as mentioned and refill with the fresh oil and be done with it.

Make sure the drain/fill plugs o ring/s are in good condition and preferably replace them.

Cheers.

Edited by Fab1