Rig tubing: what type (?): silicon? Shrinkwrap? Teflon? Others?

l2oBiN

Guys,

I would like to buy some rig tubing for spacing sinkers from swivels etc

Instead of paying premium attempt tackle shop, I am considering buying tubing in bulk/ebay.

A bit of searching through the bay showed up three main type of tubing..,

Shrink wrap able

Silicon

Teflon

I found one retailer that offers Teflon at lower than 1mm ID. The shrink wrap and silicon seem to come with 1mm inner diameter.

Which of these three materials would be most appropriate for fishing rigs, or is there something else?

Further, what colour would be best? (I was thinking of picking up red an clear)

What would be a good ID? 1mm or lower ... 0.5mm?

With shrink tubing there are two measurements, the raw ID and the shrunk ID.

In normal heat shrink, you will find it is generally 2 / 1. eg. 1/.05 so, will star at 1mm and will shrink down to .05mm.

In higher grade heat shrink, you will find 3 / 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If just using as shroud on a line you could get the cheapest material possible bearing in mind that heat shrink is effectively rubber tubing that will wear away fairly easily and crushes under any impact. Teflon tubing is usually a bit more rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

My question is why would you want to?

Either use a running rig of a fixed rig. If you google either you'll find any number of illustrations of both which don't require tubing to space the sinker from swivel.

If your worried about the sinker striking the swivel just bit a soft lumo bead between them

I use whiting beads between my sinker and swivel as the small swivels can trap the sinker but have also seen others use red tubing. If you prefer tubing, buy a cheap coil of red auto wiring from an auto parts store and use a wire stripper to take off the tubing sections you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk