Where do people fish at Port Hacking

Volitan

Having read a few reports on Fishraider about Port Hacking, I've decided I should give it a go. I have to admit I've lived in Sydney for over 35 years and still had to look up where it is - sort of knew, but not sure.

Anyway I looked at Google maps satellite view - all I can see is a short, narrow estuary which appears to be shallow in the main, and heavily overdeveloped. I know there is good fishing there somewhere - but I cant guess where.

My main interest is lure and fly fishing for surface fish (salmon, kingfish). I guess only the salmon are really likely at this time of year.

I'm talking boat fishing, but very small boat.

So my question is : can someone please save me a few hours of pointlessly fishing in the wrong places and let me know where I should fish in the Hacking. I'm not after anyones favourite spots - just an idea of roughly where the fish occur ?

cheers and thanks

Arron

Troll some lures around deer Park to south West arm for tailor. Warmer weather is better though. The rocks from jibbon beach round the head can produce lots of different species on the troll at different times of year. Just to start you off. The hacking is a surprisingly big piece of water with lots of marks.

Hi Aaron

There are some guys in this forum who fish the Hacking very frequently so they are much more informed than me so no doubt they will respond in time.

The Hacking is a very clean and mostly shallow waterway ( although quite deep in parts) and I think this is what makes it somewhat difficult to fish at times as the fish can be a bit timid. This makes the peak times of dawn and dusk (and night time) more critical than say in the Georges river system. I would say summer is the best time to fish the Hacking unless you know the system well.

Its a beautiful system almost entirely national park on one side and a bugger to navigate for the uninitiated.

Steve is on the money with Deer Park and you can try around Lily Pilly in the deeper water for kings when the water warms up.

Good Luck

You know - I've read about 10 reports on the hacking in the last 2 weeks and nothing from Botany Bay.

Strange considering the hacking is considered quiet this time of year!

Always stuff on the surface around the exit of Yowie Bay early morning. Troll or throw a metal slug around there.

Hi as soon as u enter swa there is a drop off that sometimes has salmon around. The back of swa where the moorings are usualy has slimys, yellowtail and sardines u can sometimes get kingfish there

I followed this up in Google Maps and I can find South West Arm easy enough (which I assume is SWA) but I can't see any moorings there. Puzzled.

Regarding the moorings; you need to go in to SWA a bit more than you would think. (they are on opposite the bay as you take a left at the 4 knot markers on the shore). Basically, its the last bit of deep water before you hit the sand flats going further upstream.

• Like 1