Three days three trips

Razzell

Hi all,

I've fished Sunday, Monday, Tuesday this week, and plan on fishing the rest of the week also. Thought I'd write up my trips so far. A bit of context - my car and kayak have been out of action for a while, and I'm waiting to start a new job. So I'm jonesing for a fish and finding myself with a bit of time on my hands.

Sunday - Iron cove

Tides looked rubbish and I wasn't expecting much, but I needed to get on the water. Iron cove is one of my favourite places to fish in central Sydney, because the fish are abundant and a good size (thank you pollution) - it's a bream comp spot. Launched at 7:30 right around low tide feeling a bit dusty from the night before. Wind was very light, which is always welcome on a kayak. Fished all my usual spots (with SPs) for not even a knock - the flats, the island, boat hulls, the pylons - nada. Jacked it in around 10:30, and as I was getting out the flats started to come alive with small tailor. In my experience, that tends to be a pre-cursor to things kicking off. I cursed the fishing gods, put the yak on the roof, and went home to a bacon sandwich and an afternoon commitment.

Monday - Georges river

Decided to spend most of the day on the kayak and use it as a reccy mission. Low tide was at around 9 and I planned to be on the water at first light, so not great from a tide perspective. Launched from como at 6ish, and didn't know where to go really. It was foggy, and cold. I threw some lures around the launch spot to see what was about, and came up fairly quickly with a reasonable flathead. After a few more flicks, came up tight when my lure was mid water. Had some weight, but very quickly came off. No lure on the line, chomped straight through; tailor. Flicked my bent minnow around, but clearly they were feeding lower. Time to move - not there to feed them plastic. I wandered round to the bridge knowing low tide was approaching and secretly hoping to get in to a jew. That was fairly quickly scuppered with the wind and current ripping through making fishing difficult. I threw my anchor down, but it wasn't nice and I wasn't getting any attention, so I ducked out. I headed over to Jewfish bay via mangrove island, which I decided to go back to once the tide came up.

The bay produced two flatties and something unidentified. While flicking around the middle of the bay, I came up on to something that had weight and headshakes. I called for a flattie, but I got it near the yak as it shook me and I swear I saw a flash of silver... I'll never know, though.

Stopped for lunch, then paddled around trying to avoid the wind. Not much action anywhere, but I was visited by two dolphins! I was chuffed with that, they came to within 10 feet of me to have a look. Tried to get a selfie with them, but couldn't get the timing right. After lunch, I fished round mangrove island. The whole are was/is completely non-SP friendly, because of the little shoots coming out the the mud. I couldn't see much sign of fish, but will probably head back in the midst of summer with surface lures to tempt the breambos out of their mangrove hiding spots.

Tuesday - Mona vale

Wind was forecast to be heavy, so no yak time for me. Instead I decided to head up to the beaches on the rising tide in the afternoon. Stopped by good old Narrabeen bait and tackle for some salted pillies and advice, and the guy let me know about a couple of gutters. I could only see one gutter when I got there around 3, but I didn't think it was formed properly yet. Still, there I was, so in the line went. High tide was at 5, and the swell was predicted to be 1m southerly. Southerly it may have been, but I'd put it at 1.5. I was just using a running pat, nothing fancy.

No bites for a half hour, then I get a run. Called for a ray, but it was a shovel nose. Better than a kick in the teeth and my first, so that was alright. I had a couple of surfers show up in my gutter and with no more bites, thought I'd take a quick wander down the beach. The southern end of the beach was a shallow wash - no fun. With an hour until high tide, I went back to my original hole which was looking much healthier. I got picked off a few times, then tried to throw over the top of them. Success! I had a nice battle with a fat sambo, which is was I was hoping for. He went to 60 and was very healthy.

After him, I slung out but light was fading. I resigned myself to the famous 'one more cast', but as I went to come in I was snagged. Couldn't be bothered to re-rig and the missus wanted me home, so I packed up.

Had better beach sessions and was hoping for more, but it was a nice day to be out and at least I got two nice fish in.

I expect I'll fish the rest of the week, too. I wanted to write these ones up while a) they might still be relevant and B) I could still remember

Cheers!

post-34517-0-95421200-1441712040_thumb.jpg

post-34517-0-69356000-1441712071_thumb.jpg

post-34517-0-69626100-1441712115_thumb.jpg