Falcon ute towing my boat

Mojo4fishin

I agree, but with too much down weight on the tow ball it can also lead to trouble when towing downhill. I think that tow-ball weight is significantly overlooked and whilst I am totally opposed to further legislation, I have seen so many caravans and boats get into trouble on freeways, especially going down hill when the towed trailer, van, boat trailer, starts to push the towing vehicle. People naturally apply brakes, which is the worst thing you can do.

The problem is the weight of the trailer tending to push the car and leading to trailer sway. Having sufficient down force on the tow bar can help prevent swaying. The heavier you tow vehicle is in relation to the trailer the less this will be a problem. You can also use devices such as anti sway or torsion bars (seem to be more popular with caravan towers).

You shouldn't be getting sway at 100 Kms mate.

It would be worth playing around with your trailer and weight distribution. Could be as simple as sliding the axle back slightly on the trailer or moving the winch post forward on the trailer

I can tow my 6.6 at over 100kms with no issues.

• 4 weeks later...