Sydney Sunday

finin

Gday all, well dont know why im writing this as things havnt changed at all in over a month.

Fishing outside has been nothing but frustration. Weather wise today has been the best day in months, calm seas, light air but still current. Water on the bottom has been consistently cold and the fish almost non existent. Still have managed a feed but not for the neighbours.

Went to the 12 today and at 7.30am there were 24 boats on it and a seal, so we gave it the big flick as to many idiots spoil the broth on the way out there were 20 odd boats at the artificial. Decided to look at the 12 again and By 1030am there were 56 boat's at the 12. Went home.

Gday all, well dont know why im writing this as things havnt changed at all in over a month.

Fishing outside has been nothing but frustration. Weather wise today has been the best day in months, calm seas, light air but still current. Water on the bottom has been consistently cold and the fish almost non existent. Still have managed a feed but not for the neighbours.

Went to the 12 today and at 7.30am there were 24 boats on it and a seal, so we gave it the big flick as to many idiots spoil the broth on the way out there were 20 odd boats at the artificial. Decided to look at the 12 again and By 1030am there were 56 boat's at the 12. Went home.

that's why some some spots shouldn't be broadcasted, do some exploring mate and you should find some good grounds. If there are a lot of boats in a area it generally puts the fish off. better luck next time mate

Guest Guest123456789

It's only going to get a lot worse. A lot of cashed up retirees and immigrants are taking up the sport and buying boats. If I were a commercial fisho within 100 kilometres of Sydney id be worried.

Edited by Guest123456789

Wow... You guys are being pretty aggressive about this! So how did you guys find out about 12 mile, the Peak and the Humps? Certainly not through randomly stumbling upon it I bet.

@flatheadluke - I'm a cashed up immigrant, do I add to the problem when I go out wide? Why does it matter what my nationality is..? Kinda offended by your comments - again!

Guys.

Just a note regarding reports on the 12 Mile and Peak. The Daily Telegraph and the Sunday Telegraph run daily fishing reports. These reports mention the 2 offshore reefs in question consistently. I would say that the amount of people reading the Downrigger reports would be insignificant if compared to the amount of people reading the papers.

So based on the hundreds of thousands of newspaper readers, a turnout of 50 boats on the weekend is pretty insignificant.

We all need to wake up to the fact that there are 5 million people living in Sydney and there are going to be more.

Perhaps we all should be grateful if we can get out there, enjoy the experience and catch a fish or 2. The days of going out with the express purpose of bagging out and bring home 5 kingfish ( 25kg of fish for the freezer ) are just about over.

No point whinging and complaining, there will soon be 6 million people in Sydney and lots more people wanting a share of an ever decreasing pie.

Just get over it! if you want solitude move out of Sydney.

Guys.

Just a note regarding reports on the 12 Mile and Peak. The Daily Telegraph and the Sunday Telegraph run daily fishing reports. These reports mention the 2 offshore reefs in question consistently. I would say that the amount of people reading the Downrigger reports would be insignificant if compared to the amount of people reading the papers.

So based on the hundreds of thousands of newspaper readers, a turnout of 50 boats on the weekend is pretty insignificant.

We all need to wake up to the fact that there are 5 million people living in Sydney and there are going to be more.

Perhaps we all should be grateful if we can get out there, enjoy the experience and catch a fish or 2. The days of going out with the express purpose of bagging out and bring home 5 kingfish ( 25kg of fish for the freezer ) are just about over.

No point whinging and complaining, there will soon be 6 million people in Sydney and lots more people wanting a share of an ever decreasing pie.

Just get over it! if you want solitude move out of Sydney.

since im a predominantly landbased fisherman I don't have the luxury of moving around if a spot isn't producing. A good landbased spot will get smashed pretty quickly when its widely broadcasted, look at pier 2 for example, people were sleeping there over night with tents, if that's not ridiculous enough for someone to sleep overnight on concrete just for a kingfish then I don't know what is. I go fishing to relax and catching good fish is the icing on the cake, and quite frankly I don't want to go fishing to argue with people casting over my line or loud and obnoxious people. Again that's just my opinion and to each their own.

Guest Guest123456789

Wow... You guys are being pretty aggressive about this! So how did you guys find out about 12 mile, the Peak and the Humps? Certainly not through randomly stumbling upon it I bet.

@flatheadluke - I'm a cashed up immigrant, do I add to the problem when I go out wide? Why does it matter what my nationality is..? Kinda offended by your comments - again!

Sent you a PM sorry mate I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else.

I'm with Krispy here, it's crowded which is not necessarily a bad thing. Think of all those employed by tackle shops, boat dealers etc.

If people are going to live in the biggest city in the country, go fishing on the best day in months and head straight for two of the best known locations they should probably expect to have a bit of company there with them. If you want a spot to yourself put some effort in and fish weekdays, night time, fish less known spots, head to different systems up or down the coast. No one owns a spot and as long as people are respectful to others then all luck to them.

Personally I think its a miracle to be able to live in a city as big as Sydney with all the benefits that entails and still have the fishing as good as it is. Not many places in the world have this combination. For all the doom and gloom I am also far from convinced that it is disappearing at the rate some like to claim. Look at the state of the kingfish stocks compared to the early 90's? Look at the fishing now to be had in the cooks river which was virtually dead at one point? With sensible management there is no reason we wont see many decades of decent fishing still to come.

Cheers,

Rich

I agree with PerryR and to add my 2 cents worth i think as long as everyone respects the laws does the right thing by the fish and it's environment then we really should have nothing to worry about. In saying that i fish offshore a fair bit and i also do a fair bit of land base and rock fishing as well. It really frustrates me when people leave there rubbish and left over tackle behind which i have experienced on several occasions . I even encountered i small rock pool with undersized fish left in it to rot and die for no reason. Luckily i had got there in time to release the little guy's back to the ocean. So back to my first point if we all respect the law, have some common courtesy towards other fishos and respect our fishing environments then it all should be happy day's ? just my 2 cents worth

Tight lines guy's ?

Cheers

Rob

It's only going to get a lot worse. A lot of cashed up retirees and immigrants are taking up the sport and buying boats. If I were a commercial fisho within 100 kilometres of Sydney id be worried.

Hi. I am not a retirees, but a cashed up immigrant. As soon as I arrived in Australia, I bought a house ( pushing up the prices of the house ) and a boat and a car. I then read throgh the posts on the australian fishing forums for good spots, went online and bought rods and reels from chinese, american and japanese websites ( because Australia has ridicolous prices and some shops with horrible customer service ), found a job, and now occasionally fishing the harbour for some flatheads.

Anything wrong with this?

Guest Guest123456789

Bloody hell I regret posting my earlier comment I've been misinterpreted. If I could delete it I would, this is turning into a Q&A program. I've apologised for any offence and I'll apologise again if that makes you feel better.

It is a fact that 'golden ticket' visa holders and hard working self funded retirees are fishing a lot. That includes offshore. I know many of them and are friends with them. Don't paint me as some sort of xenophobic bigot, if you knew me, my wife and son you'd know how ridiculous that assertion is. Enough said I'm not responding to any more posts on the subject.

Edited by Guest123456789

Gentlemen,

This is finin's post about his about his trip, not a debate on why there are 50 boats at one spot!

And for the record, it's quiet up this way as well. Everyone seems to have to work a bit harder for a fish this time of year.

Cheers scratchie!!!