The Good Old Days

fragmeister

Hasn't this gone round enough?

Sure,

I am happy to take up the debate with Billfisher over a beer and save the rest of the Raiders the agony.

All joking aside, I appreciate Billfisher putting his points forward and I suspect the feeling is mutual.

I am not sure we are that far apart in our position on sustainability we just differ in confidence in the science.

Cheers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they do this primarily from catches for ocean species.

This is not like a census where they actually count the real number of fish.

They extrapolate the number of fish by using the catches they make and they factor in the elements I mentioned earlier in this post to come up with a total fish population. Whether this data comes from the whole commercial catch or by select scientific sampling the same broad method is used.

Yes, your are spot on, this does generate all the problems you mentioned. Again, I am only identifying the weakness in the science I am not taking sides.

Incidentally, they use other methods such as strip counts which are much more effective on inshore/reef populations but that doesn't work for the ocean fish.

Cheers

Jim

You would think though if they were going by catches they would be smart/ diligent enough to take into account changes in regulations, effort, new fisheries being opened up etc? If the 30 year population stability is merely an illusion due to new fisheries being opened up it seems a bit far fetched that they would miss this in their population index. Ie thay would be doing a very poor job as conservation advocates!

Edited by billfisher

The bullshit I've read about reco fishers needing limiting on fish catches whilst dredgers take the whole stock just a few hundred meters from Sydney!!!!!!!

You might be surprised how many fish rec's take in NSW. It's as many or more as the pros for a lot of popular species.There are only 1000 pro fishermen in NSW and NSW imports over 80% of it's seafood. By dredgers you mean trawlers? Aside from there not being that many of them there are large area bans on fish trawling in NSW as part of fisheries management. Eg from Port Hacking to Port Kembla.

You might be surprised how many fish rec's take in NSW. It's as many or more as the pros for a lot of popular species.There are only 1000 pro fishermen in NSW and NSW imports over 80% of it's seafood. By dredgers you mean trawlers? Aside from there not being that many of them there are large area bans on fish trawling in NSW as part of fisheries management. Eg from Port Hacking to Port Kembla.

Yes I mean trawlers billfisher.

Sorry, I shouldn't have put that rant in mate as it's a different topic and not directly related to original post.