Boat caught in storm

jay_stylz

one year the port hacking 100 was cancelled due to realy bad weather.we had a 28 foot berty at the time and as i was the skipper i had to take it back around to the georges.

traveling throught the swell the boat broched and i was slipping down the wave in a 28footer.full power was asked of the twin 305 chevs and i was surfing a 28ft berty fun but shitting myself at the same time.got a 18ft shark cat after that and comeing home from marley point jumped over a wave and went straight through the next one.very wet

been in a lot of bad weather but those two stand out my fishing mates call me storm boy have done for years

jim

Mine was when I was a rookie. Think I only had 3 trips under my belt. Thought I would go to Lion Island for the day. I read the report, said catastrophic winds late afternoon.

Amyway we were fishing, was dead flat. We were catching heaps of fish, then all the boats left at 1pm. I was happy, had the whole place to myself!

An hour later the winds hit like someone hit the switch. We had mini whirpool around us in seconds. We decided to cut the fishing lines. At the time I was protected by the island. Soon as we started to head back to Brooklyn boat ramp and we passed the island, it was crazy! Waves were quite big, I am in a 4.1 tinny. At one stage I had a huge wave behind me and I remember looking back and my mate yelling - GUN IT!!!

Never forget!

There were heaps of people arriving at the boat ramp. Some guys were past Palm Beach! Crazy!

Never rely on one source for weather conditions!