That wasnt expected.

Camo1808

Ok so i finally got a sleep in yesterday till 10am and that was the first time since...god knows when.

Got to the arvo and the wife said hey you should go for a fish its been a while.

BLOODY BEAUTY!!!! no arguments here babe. So packed the truck called a mate and off we went. Grabbed a slab of pillies and hit the beach for a short session. Whilst waiting for my mate with the bait i whacked on a metal slug. To no luck after about half hour my mate arrived and out went the pillies. Didnt take long at all and my mate was on...plate sized ray...boo!!!

About 10min later a small 30cm sambo came in. Such a cutie.

Then my mates rod buckled and screamed. And it went hard!!! About 15min later in comes a port jackson shark. A first even sighting for us!! Yew beauty.. back she went. Whilst grabbing another pillies from the bucket i noticed a fish about twice the size. Looked like a small spotted mack. So thoufht wicked chuck that on...

Out it went and withib 5 min my rod tip almost touched the water. I have never seen my 13foot rod rod bend sooo hard. I picked it up and struggled to hold it with drag fully locked and still pulling line!! I fought this fish so about 6-7min and then when i thought i got its head turned it started running to the right uo the beach. Then out of now where the line went slack....it was lost, the hooks were pulled and i was gutted hahha.

Brought the line in and the hook was bent straight and there for the barb wasnt enough to hold it. I was so gutted... any ideas on what it would of been raiders??

The next hour and a half we caug hr anouther 4 port jackson sharks but they were no fun as not one of them fought. Just like bringing in a lump of weed. Correction* a tonne of weed haha.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers Camo....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If the hook is bent, you are using too much drag. Either reduce the drag, or use double strength hooks.

If a fish starts running along a beach, walk along the beach to follow the fish. That way you will not be using a lot of your line, and therefore panicking that the reel will run out of line.

Thanks for your reply yowie. Really appreciate the tip on the drag and hooks pulling.

Yeah i did walk the beach with it. The hooks pulled though when it wasnt running it was just a tight line...

Any ideas on what it could possibly have been?

Haha yeah was thinking possibly abother one considering there was that many that day but it just took off and ran for metres and metres as apose to these sharks they hooked ran for 4-5min then just practically scull dragged them in.

Thanks for your reply yowie. Really appreciate the tip on the drag and hooks pulling.

Yeah i did walk the beach with it. The hooks pulled though when it wasnt running it was just a tight line...

Any ideas on what it could possibly have been?

A bit hard to say what it could have been.

The trouble with beach fishing is picking up a lump of kelp along the line, this can also exert more pressure on the line and hook than you need.