Technique: pump and wind or reel reel reel?

Mike89

Further in this subject the video below has been posted before but it is a great example

of what happens when you set drag on a full spool.

Watch it through and you will see why the 1/4 rule makes sense and perhaps even more so when fishing with braid where

stretch is minimal.

seldom in river do I have a fish take that much line off my reel. I am very aware of all the video has to say And I used that information when chasing fish which stripped a lot of line off a reel very quickly. But is a salmon or trevally going to do that on the gear he is using?

seldom in river do I have a fish take that much line off my reel. I am very aware of all the video has to say And I used that information when chasing fish which stripped a lot of line off a reel very quickly. But is a salmon or trevally going to do that on the gear he is using?

Whether it's a metre or a kilometre it's still the same pressure, if you rarely lose line try fishing lighter,

Edited by stevefish

No the drag the fish pulls is still 2kg. Remember I said a third of the b/s through a loaded rod. If you measure the drag straight off the reel (ie no bend in the rod) then use a quarter of the b/s of the line. The difference between the two figures is friction through the guides - leverage doesn't come into it.

I see. I'm still a bit confused on this. I guess maths was never my strong point!

I watched the video and can see how tightening the drag in the fight can actually hugely increase the chance of the fish busting you off. So is this why you use the 1/3 rule? Because during the fight the fish will be pulling off line and with the more line pulled out the 'tighter' the drag setting becomes? So what was 2kg becomes 5kg?

Might have this wrong again but I appreciate you guys walking me through this principle!

Stevefish. No it's not. The more line off the reel the smaller diameter the line is coming off the reel from. Hence the increase in drag pressure from the reel, its a 1-2-3 formula eg. 2 kg full 4kg half full. 6 kg near empty! So if all your fight is with a full spool. You can afford to run a higher drag pressure knowing it is not going to change! I often use 3 kg of drag on 4lb braid and 8lb leader on bream around oysters! And that's really pushing the limits! This is my final word on this subject!

Edited by bluefin

I see. I'm still a bit confused on this. I guess maths was never my strong point!

I watched the video and can see how tightening the drag in the fight can actually hugely increase the chance of the fish busting you off. So is this why you use the 1/3 rule? Because during the fight the fish will be pulling off line and with the more line pulled out the 'tighter' the drag setting becomes? So what was 2kg becomes 5kg?

Might have this wrong again but I appreciate you guys walking me through this principle!

Bluefin has a good point here - the fish you are likely to encounter are not going to bring the full spool/ empty spool into play.

So you have to ask the question here was the 1 quarter rule devised by the game fishing fraternity who may have frequently be in the danger of getting spooled so the potential for the effective 3 fold increase in the effective drag when the spool was near empty was covered.

Other posts here hint at a little bit of over analizing and perhaps that is on the money.

I think I have lost more fish from pulled hooks after winding up the drag than from being busted off.

Most seem to fish with braid way beyond the drag capacity of our reels anyway so aside from physically stopping the spool from turning bust offs are probably not that likely.

Anyway, touch the drag settings on your reel once and you have lost all the preset drag settings anyway and its back to "feel".

Edited by fragmeister

It's worth knowing about (ie the increase in drag pressure as the line load drops). It can happen outside game fishing, eg I have been nearly spooled by jewfish in estuaries on light gear. Also there are other factors that can increase pressure on your line such as drag inertia and water pressure on the line. The latter can big a big factor if you have hooked a fast running gamefish which changes direction and leaves a big belly of line in the water. Your line also looses strength if you have a less than 100% strength knot, UV damage, abrasion etc.