Is that all that needs changing?the bearings.

Fab1

The mrs asks me to look at her washer as it was making a "funny sound".

I go and have a look and as soon as she fires it up that familiar rumble is heard indicating bearing failure to me.

She says it gets a "little" louder on the spin cycle and I immediately had to tell her to turn it off as I fair dinkum thought I would die the death off being trampled to death in my own garage by a herd of a million bison it was that loud.

I told her the bearings need to be replaced as the seal proberbly has failed and allowed water to enter the bearings causing the failure.

You know what her response was?Oh is that all you need to do,change the bearings?

As if you just slap the old ones out and the new ones in.

Here's the results from an hour or so.post-20199-0-48940900-1442965281_thumb.jpgWhat people fail to relise is alot of the time to get to the simplest and often cheapest components you have to remove alot of stuff to get to it and once your done have to reassemble it back together and that's how the cost increases as the labour has to be factored in.

Here's the prize after all that and the waiting on parts begins.

post-20199-0-27657500-1442965727_thumb.jpg

Im still trying to educate my wife that things usually aren't as straight forward as they seem.

The moral of the story is when you take your vehicles,boats,appliances etc in for repair,take a moment to think about how much work/time is actually involved in doing that repair before you scoff at how much you get charged.

My wife has no idea how much money we have saved ourselves because I do my own work.

Cheers.

I bet you 'dont do enough around the house' either Fab1!

I get that now and then..

i do the cleaning and cooking and sorting out the house. Your job is easy, just mow lawns and look after garage and if something breaks then fix it! oh and also, when i want something (like new cupboards installed) then you need to do that also! oh and, the door is squeaking again, oh and the tap are getting hard to turn oh and i think the walls need a new coat of paint and id like some new shelving too....

............ humility is a mans best friend in these circumstances.....

Thanks guys,I wish I had tef10ns money to buy new things every time something goes wrong.

And squid marks the list goes on and on and on and.....as I'm sure you know to well but personally I get a huge satisfaction from repairing my own things not to mention the coin saved in the process.

So many thing have simple mechanical solutions but many people don't have the skills or time to repair.

Added to that the challenge that manufactures make it so difficult to replace the smallest part by making them inaccessible.

It's a shame we live in such a throw away world.

Well done Fab1

Well the washer is all back together and working a charm after doing a couple of loads.Total cost around 2.5 hrs of my labour and $90 in bearings/seals.Sure beats the $700 my wife was quoted for the job.I mentioned to my wife that I need a new impact gun and she gave me the all clear to go and get one with the money we saved.It's a win win situation I tell you.Im going shopping tomorrow.post-20199-0-79742900-1443319189_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-02233000-1443319226_thumb.jpgDoes anyone need a washing repair man?I need more tools lol.

I goes to show the coin that can be saved by having a go as I have done.

Cheers.

I did the same at the start of winter to my tumble dryer.

The bearing cost $2 at my local bearing store. Simpson wanted something like ?? $25. + postage

Labor cost was about 3 beers of time.

Its satisfying fixing stuff like that.

JD

Good on you for having a crack at it.Speaking of driers I grabbed one for my sister in-law(Single mum)off the council strip that just needed a belt put on it and a clean up.That was 6-7 years ago and still going strong im told.As they say one mans trash is another mans treasure.