Got smooooooked!

Razzell

Hi all,

Had a few hours spare this afternoon so swung out for a quick jaunt. Took the anchor because I knew the wind was up, but was desperate to get out on the water.

Launched about 2.5 hours before high tide.

Went over to Iron cove and fished the bridge pylons for about an hour. Not a touch - figured it must still be quiet. A bream fisho on a tinny didn't seem to have any joy, either. Considering he had sponsor stickers all over his boat and didn't hang around, I decided he knew best and go mix it up.

Navionics has shown some interesting structure in the area, so thought I might as well check it out. Headed over, anchored up, and started flicking 4" paddle tails on the 2-4kg and 2500 reel. I was getting some attention and there were cormorants hanging around, so figured the area might do alright. Maybe some sambo, trevs, or possibly a jew.

All of a sudden - Thunk. I didn't strike right away, because I never do with those kind of bites. Don't really have a rationale for it, just don't. Anyway, as soon as I knew he was on, I struck, and this thing went off like the clappers. Immediately line was just peeling off, and within a matter of seconds I could see the backing. I tightened the drag, then realised I was anchored. Shit. I stuck the rod between my legs, line still peeling, and tried to haul the anchor... This thing was still absolutely bolting in a steady direction with no sign of letting up. I didn't get the anchor half way before realising I had to make a decision - try to save the braid or hope it doesn't spool. I tried to save the braid. It broke off at on the backing. :ranting2:

Furious but exhilarated, I shared a joke with a guy on a nearby boat who had thoroughly enjoyed watching my failure. Can't blame him, must have been amusing to watch, and by that point I was laughing at myself.

After that, I figured I might as well carry on flicking with my lighter set up and hope I don't get hammered again. Managed a lovely, fat, 68cm flatty who was gorgeous. Then a couple of tailor and a few more smaller flatties.

Devastated about 'the one that got away', but that's the name of our game!

Probably could have had more braid/less backing, but it was fully stocked. Whatever it was, it really did a number on me. If I wasn't anchored, I would have just set the drag so it was having a tough time then let it tire itself out as it pulled me round. Unfortunately, it all just happened too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

bad luck Razz certainly sounded like an exciting few minutes you just need three arms or a bit of luck in those circumstances alternatively the fish could have just as easily turned and run back at you and given you a minute or so to get organised

Haha that's awesome! Better to get smoked and lose than never hook up at all!

I've had similar issues anchoring in the yak, but the system I use has a big old float right at the attachment point to my trolley and I just click it off to retrieve later. Nothin better than getting towed around by something large and in charge!