Slow day off the stones - Little Bay

UnderFisher

Made the most of the low swell to fish Julieannes at Little Bay. Arrived pre-dawn and used a combination of floating pilchards and squid and lures. Got nothing... Nothing. Tried around the the corner for nilch too. 6 other guys spun lures and coconut rigs for 4 hours straight for nothing too. To add insult there was a massive school boiling up about 100m from shore - just out of casting range! It's been slow off the stones lately, hope things pick up soon, tight lines everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bahahahaha @ coconut rigs...

That rig is a staple julieannes, there's a 90% chance of seeing some one using that rig if you go there.

Julieannes hasnt been doing very well, not the last couple times iv been anyhow... Just dead is the best way I can describe it, which is weird because that place is usually pretty good at producing something...

Harry

Guest no one

Interesting... And those schools boiling the surface are eating the SMALLEST fish you could imagine, small finger nail width so you'll need a lure that big to snag one! They won't hit anything bigger right now.

I was out with the kids and decided to just run some divers around the heads to run the boat for the first time this season . I came around the point and saw the bust up right on cape Bailey and a diver goes off . Thinking we jagged a salmon to my suprise we picked up a bonnie 450mm . I ran around the school for half an hour flicking the smallest white bait I had but nothing . This early they are so fussy . You've got to love that there are still idiots running straight through schools thinking they will get the fish .no idea some people and I guess the other 6 or so thought the same as me as every one tried to get one . It was slow everywhere yesterday but the beach was unreal . You have got to love hot weather .

To add insult there was a massive school boiling up about 100m from shore -

I was chasing them around for half of the day yesterday. They are 2.5 - 3.5kg salmon. At one point we had a football field sized ball on either side of the boat, it was going off!

Very hard to catch though, we caught 2 on 20g lures and got 1 30cm bonito on a pilly tail (dunno what he was doing there!). Anyway put the bonito on a big hook and sent him straight back in the water. Not 5 minutes later something big chomped the whole thing, left just the head behind - with the hook in it. Damn!

Used one of the salmons as bait, caught a couple of 50cm rats, a snapper big enough for dinner and a few other species that werent keepers. The other salmon made tasty fish cakes.

Had to come in by 11 as it was getting too hot. Im thinking about installing a sprinkler system for days like yesterday, something that shoots mist into the air.

Edited by Smasher