Spooling reels with line capacity greater than 300m

Mike89

Might be a silly question, but I'm wondering how best to maximise on the line capacity for a reel that can hold over 300m?

Most braid comes in either 150m or 300m, I've seen mono in 500m so I am wanting to know if you can also get good braid in spools of this size.

I'm hoping to catch my virgin jewfish over the summer and plan on getting a 6000 or 8000 Shimano Baitrunner.

Is it okay to tie braid to braid on the spool for extra line or could this cause problems?

The Penn 650SSM I've got now has a capacity of around 400m of 30lb mono. I've got around 20 metres of 25lb mono to around 100m of 20lb braid to around 100m of 25lb braid. So somewhere between 200 and 250m of line. Is this ample for what I'm looking to do?

Also -

I've been having a look at some Alveys recently for beach fishing for whiting and pan fish. Some of these reels can hold up to 600 or more metres of line. The tackle experts have advised me they don't cast as well when not fully spooled, so does that mean I'd need 600m or so of mono to get these to perform at their full potential? It seems like a lot of dead line in the reel.

Edited by Mike89

To answer one of your questions, I don't tie braid directly to the spool, if there is no lug on the spool to tie to, the whole spool of braid can slip under (heavy) pressure and spin.

This lead me to lay out 300 m of line one day in Pittwater to put 10 or 20 m of mono under it. . Lucky nothing bit the jig on the other end!!

Haha, yes that is lucky!

Sorry - I should have been clearer. I don't mean tying braid directly to the spool (I usually back to a few metres of mono). I mean is it fine to albright one length (say 150m) of braid to another (say 300m) to fill a spool with a line capacity of, say 500m?

I'm just wondering how to fill a spool on a reel that can take more line than contained on the spools of braided line that you buy.

I can't imagine a jewfish taking that much line off a reel- 30 lb mono is like 65lb power pro, so 400m of that on a heavy duty reel like an 8000 would definitely be overkill - although maybe not for sharks... Perhaps buy a longer spool of 10-20 lb mono and use 100 m of it for backing and then attach it to 300 m of braid?

Where do you get the bigger spools? I haven't seen them in the tackle shops.

Good suggestion on backing a larger spool with 100m of mono. How do you measure this out though? I find also with braid that when putting line on from a 150m spool I'm never quite sure how much line to put on. I can fill the spool but then what to do with the remaining 40 or 50 metres? It seems like somewhat of a waste, and braid is expensive!

I double-checked the line capacity, it was 400m of braid at 30lb, not mono. The mono capacity for 20lb is closer to 200m. So yes, around 150m I suppose of 30lb mono.

As someone with very limited experience and none at jewfishing I'm not quite sure what I'll need. I've read that I'll want a reel with a capacity of at least 250m. I've also heard that a big jewfish won't run more than 60m at most so there is some conflicting info here that I'm trying to clarify.

Why would it be claimed that you need a full spool of 250m? Is that for casting or more to do with the drag capacity of the larger reels?

@ Crossfire - what size reel is best suited to fishing for jews from the beach? Is 4000 enough or am I right with thinking 6000 or 8000?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mike89

To answer your question, yes its fine to use an albright and join 2 braids together, or double blood knot even better if lines are same diameter.

keep in mind a knot will weaken the line to a point so if you ever see the knot come off the reel then back the drag off a bit.

You can buy 500 metre spools too, tuff line comes to mind.

Good luck!

Where do you get the bigger spools? I haven't seen them in the tackle shops.

Good suggestion on backing a larger spool with 100m of mono. How do you measure this out though? I find also with braid that when putting line on from a 150m spool I'm never quite sure how much line to put on. I can fill the spool but then what to do with the remaining 40 or 50 metres? It seems like somewhat of a waste, and braid is expensive!

Thanks in advance.

There are online calculators available to help estimate lengths.

I think most people just do it backwards first and reverse it.

Tie or tape the braid to the spool and load it on. Tie mono to it and fill the spool. So the mono will be on top of the braid at this stage.

Then unload it into another empty spool or bottle or something. ( a battery drill spinning it will speed it up). Whilst unloading it off the real you will need to separate the braid from mono.

Once the new reel is empty tie the mono onto the spool and fill it and the braid from the bottle. You will end up using all your braid with a nicely filled spool.

Well Mike for starters I wouldn't be using braid when beach fishing.

Speaking from experience it will give you all sorts of problem and you'll need to use a heavier sinker than you normally would in the conditions.

If you want to fish 30lb them I'd be looking at something like a Fin nor Lethal SPT100, which is one of the best reels around for the money, or either a Pfleuger Salt 80 or Penn SSV 8500

If you wish to fish 20lb yo can step down a size to a Salt 70, Penn SSV7500 or of Penn SSV7500LC

All these reels will give you 300m line capacity which is more than enough

The usual method to boost line capacity is to put braid on the bottom of the reel (though not tied directly to the spool) a have 100m or more of mono on the top to cast/ fish with (much more user friendly than braid off the beach). A proper braid to mono knot will be very strong and I wouldn't worry much if you get it out on a fish.

Alternatively you can use one of the finer mono lines like Platypus Super 100 or Schnider Fine Line.

If you have 300m of at least 20lb line it should be sufficient for jewfish off the beach.

PS: using braid backing can tend to corrode you spool as it traps water.

Well Mike for starters I wouldn't be using braid when beach fishing.

Speaking from experience it will give you all sorts of problem and you'll need to use a heavier sinker than you normally would in the conditions.

If you want to fish 30lb them I'd be looking at something like a Fin nor Lethal SPT100, which is one of the best reels around for the money, or either a Pfleuger Salt 80 or Penn SSV 8500

If you wish to fish 20lb yo can step down a size to a Salt 70, Penn SSV7500 or of Penn SSV7500LC

All these reels will give you 300m line capacity which is more than enough

Thanks for the pointers, that gives me a great starting point to check out some reels.

A guy at my local store in the city reckons the Penns are 'crap'. When I ask him why he just says they used to be good when they were USA made but since moving the factory to China they haven't been as good quality.

I'm not sure whether I should take that with a grain of salt or not.

Thanks for the tip on using mono - it seems like lots of people still do fish with braid in the surf, though?

Cheers.

Thanks for the pointers, that gives me a great starting point to check out some reels.

A guy at my local store in the city reckons the Penns are 'crap'. When I ask him why he just says they used to be good when they were USA made but since moving the factory to China they haven't been as good quality.

I'm not sure whether I should take that with a grain of salt or not.

Thanks for the tip on using mono - it seems like lots of people still do fish with braid in the surf, though?

Cheers.

It depends on which Penn reel you buy. Some are rubbish. What reel does the store recommend? Ask him where its made. If its not a Stella. Saltiga or Torque its in all likely hood made in Korea, Vietnam or China.

Yeah one of my mates still fishes with braid in the surf (Slow Learner).He has to fish a full 2oz heavier than I do in the same conditions and gets about half as many hits. He's the only serious beach fisherman that i know that still uses braid.

Its not designed for fishing surf. Its designed and built for jigging in deep water and chucking lures

He's talking about the Penn Spinfishers - SSM and SSVs. I have the SSM and I like it. His recommendation for the $100-300 range is anything Shimano. Doesn't reckon that anything by Daiwa in that price range will get you the same or better value for money. I've also heard this from another bloke at a different shop who also says that above that price range is comparable between the two brands.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Mike89

I'll agree with him on the SSm but then again they're old. I use 3 SSV's and have done now for 3years with no trouble at all.

Check out a Fin nor Lethal or Quantam Cabo PTS 100 (Both are on my shopping list)n and both higher rated than anything by Shimano at the same price point by Alan Hawke

Edited by Crossfire63

I'll agree with him on the SSm but then again they're old. I use 3 SSV's and have done now for 3years with no trouble at all.

Check out a Fin nor Lethal or Quantam Cabo PTS 100 (Both are on my shopping list)n and both higher rated than anything by Shimano at the same price point by Alan Hawke

Yeah? I got the SSM because I didn't want to spend over $100 replacing the reel that my Shimano rod came with but I kind of wish now that I'd forked out the extra for the SSV.

Cheers, I'll check those reels out. It's great to get some advice on reels as I don't have much experience and there is SO much stuff on the market.

Thanks!