Trip to Tasmania, first weekend in November

cameldownunder

Hi

This is my son's and my second trip to Tasmania. First Trip was to lake Pedder, and we loved it ( We did not catch anything, but was magic nevertheless )

This time the starting point is Launceston, and plan is quick stop at brumby's dams, on the way to Great Lake, Arthur's Lake, Woods Lake and Lake Crescen. the return to Launceston. We rent a 2 WD campervan.

I thought I get a few worms and Honey Maggots, before leaving Launceston, and use the spinners and lures fromt he tackle bag. We will be land based.

Any thoughts, hints, warnings, timps, suggestions?

THanks

Hi mate, I saw your pm before I saw this post so I replied to you but thought I'd post the reply up here to. It might be of some help to others in the future as well.

Hi mate,

I am by no means an expert but I will help with what I can. The Great Lake is a beautiful place if you like the high country. Take some warm clothes as it can get pretty cold at night. We only spent one night on the shores there and as we arrived late (about 1am) so we just camped at the boat ramp in Miena. There was a large flat area 20m up from the water that you could easily set up your caravan. There's a couple of boat ramps I think though but from memory I can't tell you exactly where it was but it did have a kind of floating wharf next to the ramp.

I've been told you don't need to go far from Miena to catch good fish. The bay there holds good numbers that often patrol the edges. We didn't do much land based fishing so I can't give much advice there. I was told though if you follow the bay around past Miena, past the pub then there's a long point on the right hand side that is good to fish from. You should be able to drive most of the way out there if you have a 4x4.

Are you taking a boat?

Arthur's I can't help you much with. My mate who was showing us around who been fishing around there for 30 years said that Arthur's isn't what it used to be. He said something had happened but I can't remember now what that was. There is a really nice campground on the shore of Arthur's though, just north of flintstone. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for that one though.

Crescent lake was packed last year. I don't know if it will still be the same. It was producing monsters last year and I think that would still be the case. One of the reasons they grow so big there is that there is a really good population of native galaxias that the trout are feeding on. It is a place where you need to put in a thousand casts and hope for one fish.

We learned later that a couple of fish had been caught the day we had been there after we had left in the same spot that we had fished. We tried to cover ground drifting along the banks but we were told later that a lot of fish are caught by just staying in the same spot casting over and over. Obviously it needs to be a good spot though and the locals know these spots. It can be a tedious way to fish though and is not for everyone.

How long do you have down there? The Great Lake is so high that there aren't really any trees around and looks quite bare. Arthurs is a bit lower and has some trees around. Crescent is quite shallow and had a dirty look when we were there.

If you have time and want a place a bit more secluded I would recommend either woods lake or pine tier lagoon. Woods is a beautiful place although now thinking about it it may be hard to find a spot for the camper. Probably ask for local advice if you decide to check out either. Pine tier is a very small lake but you probably won't see many other people and it's also a beautiful spot.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

As for lures I really like the berkley hard body that was in my report with the rainbow pattern. Nice cheap option from Kmart. The spotted dogs worked well and tassie Devils are always recommended down there. Didn't have much luck on spinners, but then again didn't put much time into them.

If you do see any hatches in the afternoons and the trout are rising you could always grab a few dry flys and use a bubble float on the spin rod. I've seen them caught this way.

Cheers

Luke

Oh and something I realised after I replied. I thought you meant a caravan but since you'll be in a campervan I don't think you will have much trouble getting around. At woods lake you might want to check the tracks leading down from the main track to the campsites before driving on them. Otherwise you will be fine.