Quintrex 24 Month Inspection

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

About 12 months ago I did a 12 Month Inspection of my Quintrex Lazeabout 570

As promised here is the 24 month inspection.

Here is the original post

Here is a summary of what I found in that 12 month inspection

I stripped out all the flooring and buoyancy foam and inspected the welds because Quintrex did go through a bad spell a few years back by some accounts. Mostly reports of cracked welds. The end result in my boat in the 12 month inspection was a single tack weld, just a temporary weld I believe, that had cracked and some paint blistering on the body of the boat that the dealer fixed under warranty - although Telwater's warranty expressly excludes paint they just looked after me because I am a good bloke LOL!

This is the boat

post-32937-0-91900500-1444728442_thumb.jpg

BTW, I always wash the boat down after use and it is always under a quality boat cover.

I always disconnect the battery when I am finished cleaning it down and about once a month I polish it.

The boat has about 200 hours on it.

Here is the 24 Month report.

Again, I stripped out the flooring and buoyancy foam and there were no signs of cracking in any visible welds. I treat the boat well but it copped more choppy conditions this year as it got quite a few runs offshore to 12 Mile Reef so I was happy with that.

All paint areas repaired by the dealer are like new. Here is one of them around a stainless tow pojnt.

post-32937-0-96831300-1444728461_thumb.jpg

There are plenty of new ones though. Here is one on the transom door near a rubber bumper

post-32937-0-36486700-1444728482_thumb.jpg

And here is one that is not near any fittings.

post-32937-0-87494100-1444728531_thumb.jpg

Here is one on the front hatch that was never fixed by the dealer but hasn't gotten any worse.

post-32937-0-04772400-1444728809_thumb.jpg

I will fix all of these shortly and given how all the previous repairs seem too have not reappeared I am confident they

will respond similarly.

The only other issue is the dash.

post-32937-0-16881900-1444728561_thumb.jpg

Not happy about this one. Looks to me like the crack has started from the windscreen stabilizer. I suspect the hole drilled through the dash was undersized and the mounting screw has put a little pressure on the plastic causing a crack to start which spread along the dash. A replacement dash is $500 so I am not that keen on fixing it. Tried putting the squeeze on the dealer for a better price but no luck as yet.

I guess the original reason why I did these inspections was because there were suggestions that Quintrex/Telwater quality had taken a nose dive particularly in the quality of the alloy they use and the weld quality.

I would say that so far, I have no concerns about the quality of the welds but I guess there is some question about the impurities in their aluminum, plaint preparation and perhaps the method they use when attaching dissimilar metal fittings.

All in all though no horror stories.

Cheers

Jim

post-32937-0-78574200-1444728504_thumb.jpg

Edited by fragmeister

That's really disappointing for a two year old boat which has obviously been well looked after. I have numerous similar patches on my 'tin boat' but it's taken 11 years of hard use to get that way! Doesn't say a lot for their quality...........

Just puts a sour taste in your mouth when something you have put so much time and money into ends up like that. Good luck with the boat.

Dave

Croydon, on 14 Oct 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

That's really disappointing for a two year old boat which has obviously been well looked after. I have numerous similar patches on my 'tin boat' but it's taken 11 years of hard use to get that way! Doesn't say a lot for their quality...........

Just puts a sour taste in your mouth when something you have put so much time and money into ends up like that. Good luck with the boat.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, its not the best.

It is interesting however to hear the dealers explanation on this issue as it seems to be inconsistent with my observations.

They say, the aluminum used does have minor impurities and any impurities creates the an oxidizing effect. This is why the paint bubbling can be seen on flat areas where there are clearly no stainless fixtures in play that may not have been properly isolated from the boat with washers or insulating compound such as tefgel.

So with this in mind why is that the paint areas they fixed are now fine? Did they remove the imperfections in the metal? Or was it they they just removed surface contaminants and properly prepared the area this time.

Where paint issues occur around fittings could this be avoided by better sealing between the surfaces because certainly Telwater's warranty exclusion for paint gives them license to reject any claims that could in fact be due to poor preparation.

I have researched this quite a lot and while many of the issues are cause by poor maintenance there as certainly plenty that are not and very few aluminum boats seem to escape this.

I'll keep on top of its to keep the resale value on the boat.

Will I buy a Quintrex next time? Probably not but that will be more about the Ocean going capabilities than anything else.

Two years of gradual exposure to open water has pretty much cured my chronic seasickness ( at least when I am Captain!) so I am ready to upgrade to a real offshore boat.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Bit disappointing to see that after only 2 years.

Regarding the impurities in the metal, im not a metallurgist but there's a chance the impurities could have oxidized or corroded away leaving a more pure metal behind.

That said, it looks like shitty surface prep to me.

Hi mate,

Loved the report! Good to see you looking after your stuff. Shame about the paint. I had a few alloy boats in my time and I was lucky I never got that problem.

Next time, get a glass boat! That just reminded me why I prefer glass but the again you have to worry about rot!

Have you sent photos to Quintrex about the dash? I would!! See what they do.

Hi mate,

Loved the report! Good to see you looking after your stuff. Shame about the paint. I had a few alloy boats in my time and I was lucky I never got that problem.

Next time, get a glass boat! That just reminded me why I prefer glass but the again you have to worry about rot!

Have you sent photos to Quintrex about the dash? I would!! See what they do.

Thanks mate,

Yep, sent them a photo. Going to follow them up soon. I often get a result with these sorts of things because I just badger people into submission. LOL

Bit disappointing to see that after only 2 years.

Regarding the impurities in the metal, im not a metallurgist but there's a chance the impurities could have oxidized or corroded away leaving a more pure metal behind.

That said, it looks like shitty surface prep to me.

That's a good point. It did occur to me that it could happen like that and it might explain why some of the oxidization left untreated did stop.

I haven't done any paint repair for about 25 years when I used to to repair army trailers on contract. Matt finish jungle green is a bit different than telwater gloss white though so I better sharpen the skills first eh?

Cheers

Jim

To be honest Jim, I think it's more about poor prep than anything else. If they were serious about their product they would stand behind it. Next tin boat I buy, will be bare, the paint is just a pain in the butt. Good luck with the boat and your eventual purchase of a 'fishing machine'. Hope you get into some good fish this summer regardless!!

Cheers Dave

To be honest Jim, I think it's more about poor prep than anything else. If they were serious about their product they would stand behind it. Next tin boat I buy, will be bare, the paint is just a pain in the butt. Good luck with the boat and your eventual purchase of a 'fishing machine'. Hope you get into some good fish this summer regardless!!

Cheers Dave

Yes Dave I tend to agree.

She gets me on to the fish so no worries there... its more about the shape I am in after a run back from outside in a chop.

Oh my aching Kidneys!

I don't have that problem with my unpainted tinny,but I can tell you from my days as a spraypainter painting brand new land rover defenders that were damaged due to rough seas in transit that they suffered the same fate around door hinges,fittings etc when we received them just from the trip over from england.We would remedy it by cleaning,sanding,etch priming,sanding,cleaning,applying base coat and clearcoat.We always used top quality paint from Germany a brand called Glasurit.

In short salt gets into the ally under fittings and through the pores in the paint.alot of people don't realise but paint is porous and breaths through those pores.

To anyone buying a tinny brand new find yourself a good painter and get them to spray your unpainted tinny before you use it.

Cheers.post-20199-0-24863700-1444815147_thumb.jpg my tinny at 4yrs old.